Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209318 - 05/31/11 01:08 PM Symptoms/pain worse during your period?
emmiemaass Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
Has anyone noticed their pain is worse during their period? I'm wondering if this is the case or I'm in the beginning of another flare. I just finished steroids and even they, in combo with Enbrel and diclofenac couldn't control the rib pain. It's constant tenderness like I am bruised all over. Also sharp, stabbing pains under (usually) my left breast. Feels like stabbng my lung, and hurts miserably. Hurts to breathe, mostly in my back ribs but also in the sternum area.

Everything else feels sore and tender, again like I am totally bruised all over. So...does it get worse with our periods or am I flaring?

#209319 - 05/31/11 01:36 PM Re: Symptoms/pain worse during your period? [Re: emmiemaass]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Due to being on progestin-only birth control, I don't have periods (yay!) but there have definitely been comments to this effect in the past.... may want to scroll through some of the older threads. Sorry you're feeling so lousy, I hope it's just a very short lived phase!
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#209323 - 05/31/11 05:09 PM Re: Symptoms/pain worse during your period? [Re: JenInCincy]
ljohnsy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Washington, D.C.
It is hard to say whether you are flaring or not but I definitely experienced worse pain during my periods. My low back seemed to be more painful and stiff as well as my other joints. I am now on LoSeasonique, which just gives me 4 periods a year. It took some getting used to but it seems to be working well for me now. I hope you feel better!

#209340 - 06/01/11 06:22 AM Re: Symptoms/pain worse during your period? [Re: ljohnsy]
iviary Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: North Texas
There's plenty of anecdotal evidence in this subforum regarding a link between menstrual cycles and flares. Both my spondy and my mystery GI ailment flare with every period. It definitely adds insult to injury.

#209346 - 06/01/11 07:42 AM Re: Symptoms/pain worse during your period? [Re: iviary]
michelly Offline
Registered Visitor

I tend to flare during my period, each one if different from the next though. This month on the first day I was very miserable, my hips and lower back was sooooo sore, felt bruised all over like you. I do take a low dose birthcontrol pill to keep my cramps at a tolerable level. I'd be willing to bet my rheumy wouldn't agree with me, but I definitly think our cycle gets the AS mad.

#209387 - 06/01/11 10:53 AM Re: Symptoms/pain worse during your period? [Re: ljohnsy]
emmiemaass Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
Jen, what are you on? That sounds excellent to me! I use Nuvaring because it is hard enough for me to remember to take my other medicines every day, not to mention adding the pill. I love only having to think about my BC twice a month.

I'd never noticed it in the past, so I thought this was coincidence but now I'm not so sure. As my period is ending, I'm feeling a teeny bit better. Hmm.

#209451 - 06/02/11 07:19 AM Re: Symptoms/pain worse during your period? [Re: emmiemaass]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
I currently use depo-provera, the every-3-months injection. It has a couple of potential drawbacks: can cause delay of return to fertility - up to a year - impossible to predict. Also it can cause a decrease in bone density, mostly reversible, also can be counteracted with weight bearing exercise. But worth a discussion with your doc since you already have a disease that can contribute to bone density problems.

I've also used the Mirena IUD, which has been discussed at length here. I think it's good for 5 years. It uses progesterone also. It can cause quite a bit of spotting after insertion, for a few months even, but then bleeding often slows or stops altogether. Insertion can be more painful for women who haven't had kids.

I had the single rod implant, Implanon, for about a year. It's good for 3 years but I had it removed because it was blamed for a side effect (breast pain) that turned out to be caused by another medicine I was taking (grrrrr!!!) Again, some discomfort on insertion (not nearly as bad as an IUD) but it worked great for me, no periods!

The "mini-pill" (brand name Micronor but also in generic) might be a good way for you to experiment with progestin-only birth control. No pain, really minimal side effects, very reversible. I hear you on remembering it, but if it worked well you could switch to something else after a month or 2... worth thinking about?
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#209574 - 06/03/11 12:26 PM Re: Symptoms/pain worse during your period? [Re: JenInCincy]
iviary Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: North Texas
I'm hopefully starting depo-provera in the next week or two (at the tail end of my period which I'm due for any day). I talked to my rheumatologist about the bone density issue. He said it should be fine. If I have that side effect, we can treat it. I do have some pre-existing loss of density in my shoulders apparently (weird... so not one of my worst sources of pain...) but he gave me the OK anyway.

#209966 - 06/08/11 11:14 AM Re: Symptoms/pain worse during your period? [Re: iviary]
seven86 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: PA
Oh yes, the few days before, I can barely walk because of the inflammation in my feet, ankles and knees. My hands/wrists are pretty much useless at that time too.

#210253 - 06/11/11 10:54 AM Re: Symptoms/pain worse during your period? [Re: seven86]
Twynducky2 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Alabama, USA
Even on Humira I definitely have a rise in pain during my cycle. I have other issues such as an irregular cycle (even though I always have PMS symptoms) and my PMS symptoms are getting worse and worse every month. But, as for AS pain...I can definitely tell when the cycle is about to hit. My GP thinks I am crazy, but my Rheummy doesn't....:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved