Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Medrol dose pak vs prednisone taper
avonldy #215989 08/27/11 09:01 PM
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
Gosh, I wish they only put me on 5 mg! I have have had to go as high as 80 mg and taper down. Usually at 40 mg. I hate the stuff, but will take it to avoid death.

We are avoiding it this time, and I am using a cortisone enema which doesn't seem to have as much side effects, but I am going to have trouble getting off of it, I can already tell. Ugh. We tried the every other day thing a while back, and I had incredible pain (Crohn's).

I know you already know the answer, but the 5mg probably won't give you too much trouble. Hopefully it is helping!

DX with Crohn's colitis 1992, hypothyroid probable autoimmune 1999, Fibromyalgia 2003, DM II 2005, and Spondylitis 12/11 Started Humira 08/2011
sunflower #215991 08/27/11 09:41 PM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
I can understand how you feel about it. The side effects can be awful. I get so grouchy and shaky when I am over anything over 20mg. When my girls were younger they would call pred my grouchy pills. I would feel so bad when I lost patients with the girls. I would go to the bedroom and sit down and cry. I hate that stuff. The side of the dose depends a lot on what they are treating. With IBD, they frequently put the patient in the hospital and give it in the IV. They usually give doses like 120 and up.

There is a type of steroid, Budesonide, that is a pill that dissolves when it get into the intestines. The steroids go to work where they are needed and less gets into the blood stream to cause all those side effects. It works really well for IBD.

I am just taking the lower doses to calm down the inflammation caused by the AS.

Donna
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain
avonldy #215999 08/27/11 11:53 PM
P
Registered Visitor
OP Offline
Registered Visitor
P
Ok. I feel blessed that I only have to take 5 mg. I'm wondering why she is giving such a small amount, but I'm not complaining. I guess it is possible to get help with a small amount. Maybe because it is just the toe she is testing on it. I guess, but I don't know.

I'm sorry that you guys have to take so much. I know it is difficult. I remember the times I had to take a steroid pack back when I had iritis. I really think it started at 60 mg and then came down. But whatever it was, when I was on it, I became VERY assertive and did a few things that scared my son. Like yelling out the car window at people. He called them the psycho pills.

Brenda

undifferentiated spondyloarthropy, HLA-B27+, iritis, Vit D3: 6000 IU/day, trochanter bursitis, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, migraines, SI joint dysfunction/hypermobility, DDD L4/L5 and L3/L4, straightening of cervical spine, impaired glucose tolerance, sleep apnea.
poodlegirl #216002 08/28/11 03:35 AM
A
Registered Visitor
Registered Visitor
A
If you just have inflammation from some kind of arthritis,5 mg will probably have you feeling much better in just a few days. It does for me.

Donna
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Melissa Velez 

Link Copied to Clipboard