Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#221347 - 11/13/11 11:49 AM Zyflamend, and others
Seeker77 Offline
Registered Visitor

Besides biologics, can you recommend some alternatives? I tried Sulfasalazene, did not work. I have heard that Zyflamend helps. The pills smell not pleasant. Anybody have experience with Zyflamend? Side effects?

I feel pretty lousy. Next appt. with rheumis is in Dec. Sitting at desk all day...wrists, shoulders and necks, very bad. And, on top of everything, have a epigastric hernia. I know what I need. Right meds, right supplements, right diet, and exercise program, and of course prayer. Just not sure how to get organized.

For exercise, pilates? Yoga? My muscles are also so weak.
I am a mess. The pain is not horrible, perhaps about a 5, but, just feel lousy (I think I said that already)...

Appreciate comments...

S

#221353 - 11/13/11 06:22 PM Re: Zyflamend, and others [Re: Seeker77]
mel2nc Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: NC
I am not the one to ask about exercise and diet...still trying to get that together myself. But, I tried Methotrexate and was good for about a year and then it became less effective-- now, I am on MTX and Humira, a biologic. I will send you lots of luck!

Melissa in NC--43 yo working mother of 2 elementary kids and wife to a great hubby!

Dx: AS in 2009, moderately severe uveitis,gastroparesis.

Humira 40mg (twice a month), Methotrexate 20mg, Flexeril, Ibuprofen, Prilosec, Vitamin D, Folic Acid, and anti-inflammatory eye drops.

#221374 - 11/14/11 08:25 AM Re: Zyflamend, and others [Re: mel2nc]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Other than anti-TNFs, NSAIDs are the mainstay of treatment. Have you exhausted this option? DMARDs such as ssz are generally useless for axial symptoms but help some folks with peripheral symptoms.

I don't know what Zyflamend is, but if you're looking into non-traditional therapies the Alternative forum is a better bet. I personally have tried MANY natural products with anti-inflammatory properties but none have helped me. The ones that have been studied in people with serious inflammation - usually RA - have not been found to help. They just don't have enough kick for serious inflammation. Things I have tried and you may want to research include:

fish oil
ginger
bromelain (from pineapples)
salicin (from white willow bark - naturally occuring compound which inspired the chemical creation called aspirin)

Any kind of exercise is better than none. May help your spondy pain but is good for body & mind even if it doesn't! Many people (spondy or not) feel better cleaning up their diet - check out Michael Pollan's book "Food Rules" for guidance!
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#221375 - 11/14/11 08:25 AM Re: Zyflamend, and others [Re: Seeker77]
NotMeToo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: United States
Zyflamend is an herbal supplement. While it is unlikely to hurt you, it does not really have any research behind it to indicate that it would do much to battle Ankylosing Spondylitis. The distributor of this supplement has been in trouble in the past with the FDA for exaggerated marketing claims.

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69429.cfm
Quote:
Zyflamend is a formulation containing ten different herbs (1). It is promoted as having anti-inflammatory and antiaging properties. Supporters claim the beneficial effects of Zyflamend are due to the constituents, many of which reduce inflammation by decreasing cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) activity. In vitro studies showed that Zyflamend inhibits COX-1 and COX-2 enzymes, induces apoptosis (4), and inhibits proliferation (8) of human prostate cancer cells.
Results from a small phase I trial of Zyflamend indicate a reduction in prostate specific antigen (PSA) levels in men with prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (PIN) (7). More studies are warranted.

Quote:
The FDA issued a letter to an Internet distributor for exaggerated claims made for Zyflamend (3). Individuals using Zyflamend should be cautious of such claims.

I do think you answered your own question.
Originally Posted By: Seeker77
I know what I need. Right meds, right supplements, right diet, and exercise program, and of course prayer.

Diet and exercise are vital to the management of Spondylitis. I have had very good results with yoga and swimming. As for medications, what have you tried? Although it is becoming more common to put patients on biologics quickly, NSAIDS have traditionally been the first line treatment for this disease. There may be people who will tell you that NSAIDS increase AS damage, that is not borne out by scientific research. Many people are able to manage their disease with NSAIDs only (my brother is one). Many other patients need a mix of medications to control their disease. Personally, I take Remicade, Methotrexate, Indocin, Flexeril, and an occasional pain medication to keep my disease under control.

#221377 - 11/14/11 08:32 AM Re: Zyflamend, and others [Re: NotMeToo]
NotMeToo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: United States
Ingredients in Zyflamend:
Ocimum sanctum (Holy basil) leaf
Curcuma longa (Turmeric) rhizome
Zingiber officinale (Ginger) rhizome
Camellia sinensis (Green tea) leaf
Rosemarinus officinalis (Rosemary) leaf and essential oil
Polygonum cuspidatum (Hu Zhang) root
Coptis chinensis (Chinese goldthread) root
Berberis vulgaris (Barberry) root
Origanum heracleoticum (Oregano) leaf
Scutellaria baicalensis (Scullcap) root

#221395 - 11/14/11 11:50 AM Re: Zyflamend, and others [Re: Seeker77]
diehardhusky11 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Seeker77
Anybody have experience with Zyflamend? Side effects?

Tried it. Zilch. Side effects? Just a nasty taste in the mouth after taking it. Ick.

You may want to check with your PCP if your vitamin levels are at the adequate levels such as Vitamin D for bones & muscles.

H.
1998-2004 Rheumatoid Arthritis, remission 2004-2010, March 2010 to current (RA, AS, Inflammatory Arth, PsA) Enbrel user-use 25 mg pre-mixed 3x a week.(pre-mix has no latex)(Allergic to "Sure Click Enbrel"-has latex) (Grandfather had AS, PsA) "We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us."

#221412 - 11/14/11 04:27 PM Re: Zyflamend, and others [Re: Seeker77]
Seeker77 Offline
Registered Visitor

Thank you for your comments.

#241370 - 10/02/12 08:52 AM Re: Zyflamend, and others [Re: Seeker77]
astrologynut Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Stuck in vortex of dystopian, ...
As others have replied with the standard and common sense suggestions of different NSAIDs or biologics etc I shall take a different tack.

There are other meds that have shown limited benefits in small scale studies but they have drawbacks and it all comes down to the risk/benefit equation, as ever.

There are bisphosphonates infusions (usually used to treat osteoporosis but has shown some limited benefit in small trials for AS, but are rarely used in absense of bone thinning/osteoporosis. I think pamidronate is the one that has had most attention and I did have a short course of 3 pamidronate infusions a month apart, back in approximately 2004 or maybe 2005, but the small improvement for me wasn't worth continuing for the full 6 infusions).

Thalidomide has been investigated, again in a small trial, which had some success but of course is controversial due to its history of causing birth defects in the 1960s and I have yet to talk with anyone who has actually had it for AS.

To be blunt, I aren't sure many doctors or rheumatologists would be likely to either suggest or be amenable to the possibility of trying either of these two options but you asked for alternatives so for thoroughness I decided to mention them.

Information on Pamidronate and AS:

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/42/8/1018.full

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21140116

This old article (from 2002) covers biologics, pamidronate, thalidomide, radiation treatment etc:

http://arthritis-research.com/content/4/5/307

Warm Regards
Oliver

Infliximab (Remicade), Morphine Sulphate, Omeprazole, Fluoxetine, Diclofenac, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Metoclopramide, Lyrica.

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved