Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#221559 - 11/16/11 08:04 PM Turmeric fights inflammation!!!
petunia Offline
Registered Visitor

I'm sure many of you already know this, but I didn't until recently... the spice turmeric is great for inflammation! I first started using it as a hot tea, then switched to pill form this week, and my inflammation is much less than when I take ibuprophen or Tramadol! Just thought I'd share this and ask if any others have tried it (please don't tell me it's all my imagination, LOL). Here's one of many stories I've read about this amazing spice...

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1910028,00.html

#221564 - 11/16/11 09:12 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]
dgopal Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Greensboro, NC
I am an Indian and have been eating typical Indian food every day of my life. Anyone who is familiar with Indian food wil know that it has turmeric in significant portions.
I can confiedently say that it has not made any impact on my inflammation.

#221565 - 11/16/11 09:26 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: dgopal]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Hi Petunia, yes, this has come up here before. Glad this is working for you, who cares if it's your imagination (aka placebo effect) or not, the effect is real!!

Tramadol, though, would not reduce inflammation. It is an analgesic (pain med) but not an anti-inflammatory. If the turmeric works better than ibuprofen then maybe you are like me - ibuprofen just doesn't really work (but other NSAIDs do.)

If you use the "search" feature on the Alternative forum you will probably pull up some older threads on the topic.

I've tried a number of things that are natural anti-inflammatories although turmeric is not one - none have helped me. My understanding is that the inflammation of spondylitis and other inflammatory conditions is much more significant than these natural products can combat, in most cases (although obviously individual results may vary as we have seen!)

Hope it keeps working for you! Maybe I will try it smile
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#221569 - 11/16/11 09:47 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: JenInCincy]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Sorry, forgot to say - this is a great site I have turned to, to get specific info on dosing for other supplements (salicin, Devil's Claw, feverfew for migraines)

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/turmeric-000277.htm

Interesting that turmeric was, in one small study, as effective as steroids in treating uveitis!

Apparently turmeric/curcumin supplements can affect stomach acid production so they should definitely be approached with caution, and especially by people taking meds for stomach acid issues (such as PPIs.)
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#221570 - 11/16/11 09:48 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: JenInCincy]
petunia Offline
Registered Visitor

Jen, I guess that's the reason tramadol never helped my inflammation... LOL, but I'm going to continue to 'believe' the turmaric helps. If I think it, it's true...

#221572 - 11/16/11 09:49 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

amen, sistah-friend!

what dose do you take? what form/brand? I have tried a lot of things but always open to one more!

#221573 - 11/16/11 10:08 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: JenInCincy]
poodlegirl Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Houston
Originally Posted By: JenInCincy

Apparently turmeric/curcumin supplements can affect stomach acid production so they should definitely be approached with caution, and especially by people taking meds for stomach acid issues (such as PPIs.)

I tried tumeric about a year ago for it's many benefits but had to stop due to the stomach acid side effect. sigh.

undifferentiated spondyloarthropy, HLA-B27+, iritis, Vit D3: 6000 IU/day, trochanter bursitis, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, migraines, SI joint dysfunction/hypermobility, DDD L4/L5 and L3/L4, straightening of cervical spine, impaired glucose tolerance, sleep apnea.

#221574 - 11/16/11 10:10 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: JenInCincy]
Sundance Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: SW Virginia
FYI - I heard that the medical effectiveness of turmeric multiplies a HUGE amount if it is taken with a small amount of black pepper at the same time. They recommended using it by cooking it with food, a generous but normal amount. I haven't tried it myself. Have fun!
Psoriatic spondylitis, became severe within 3 years; on disability. Single, age 57. Failed Humira, Remicade, and methotrexate. Can't take NSAIDS or opioid pain meds. Also have adrenal insufficiency and thyroid issues.

#221576 - 11/16/11 10:35 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: Sundance]
petunia Offline
Registered Visitor

dgopal, maybe turmeric works different on different people. I see from your post that Humira didn't work for you, but for me it has worked.

Jen, I've been taking 500 mg. capsules twice a day. I bought them at wallyworld... I swear it has made a difference in my inflammation! I read the article you posted, very interesting. At least their exists the possibility that turmeric DOES fight inflammation!

Poodlegirl, I've been taking the pills with meals, hoping they won't hurt my delicate stomach. I have to be very careful because of severe allergies.

Sundance, are you trying to make me sneeze?!! LOL

#221579 - 11/16/11 11:34 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]
dgopal Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Greensboro, NC
well..humira and other anti tnfs or NSAIDs all work well for my back pain..
and unfortunately for me, nothing as simple as turmeric would do it...

its my peripheral issues that I have not found any solution...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan