Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#221611 - 11/17/11 10:18 AM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: dgopal]
petunia Offline
Registered Visitor

Sorry dgopal. It is my peripheral issues too that I have problems with. But I'm a total optimist in that I'm going to find the cause and cure for my problems! It may not happen, but I'll give it my best shot... and it makes me happy being proactive in my quest for good health. I'm going to fight this disease as long as I can.

And Sundance, I've been reading about pepper added with turmeric, and according to what I've read it DOES help. I thought you were kidding!

#221644 - 11/17/11 03:17 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]
michelly Offline
Registered Visitor

I recently bought a suppliment with turmeric that's in those capsules that go through your stomach to your intestines.. I'm sorry I can't recall the name and it's not with me at the moment. I also saw one that had black pepper in it, but the assistant told me it upsets her stomach. I will be trying it soon and I'll post if I have any luck. I also saw a nighttime suppliment with turmeric in it I'm curious to try. I am skeptical but worth a shot.

#221652 - 11/17/11 04:47 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: michelly]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: michelly
I recently bought a suppliment with turmeric that's in those capsules that go through your stomach to your intestines.

(enteric coated)

smile
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#221669 - 11/17/11 10:39 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: dgopal]
ljohnsy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Washington, D.C.
I haven't tried turmeric in significant amounts but a friend of mine adds some to her rice before cooking it. Just an idea!

#247379 - 01/22/13 09:32 AM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]
Mike_In_S_C Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
I've been taking Tumeric Supreme from Gaia vitamins. It has black pepper in the pill so it's supposed to absorb more of it. I found that taking it and an Aleve work great. I don't have any stomach problems with it.

Mike

#247393 - 01/22/13 01:41 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

I've been taking Nature's Way standardized turmeric (450 mg/tablet, 1 tablet 2x/day) for about 40 days now and have not seen it make any difference - bummed frown
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#247415 - 01/22/13 06:53 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]
SeanP Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: uk

Hi Jen

That is disappointing when you try something new - I found this interesting paper on a big test of different spices against different bacteria including klebsiella - turmeric was rated quite highly behind chilis...

http://uzspace.uzulu.ac.za/bitstream/handle/10530/554/The%20antimicrobial%20activity%20of%20five%20food%20spices%20when%20tested%20against%20various%20gram-positive%20ľand%20gram-negative%20microorganisms.pdf?sequence=1

I will try and find those links on food triggers and Dr. John Mansfield - from your question on the other thread. My skin has erupted with eczema on my legs and arms with blepharitis eyes since indulging with too much milk chocolate (I usually avoid cows milk). His work is quoted in this paper (might have posted before?) - http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/4/6/392.pdf

About 75% better than the worst I have been... but still flare from time to time - I do NSD or LSD in emergencies but always restrict wheat, corn, rye and other grains. Have helped friends with my experiences - 20 years now!
Here is a link to my story -
http://www.arthritisforum.org.uk/stories/storysean.html

#247423 - 01/22/13 07:40 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]
poodlegirl Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Houston
Tumeric can give you reflux. I tried it a few years ago and couldn't continue due to the reflux. Enteric coated might work; glad to know there is one that I can try if I get brave enough. I agree with the clerk that said the black pepper upset her stomach. I need one that is enteric coated with no pepper!

They think it may help prevent Altzheimer's as well.

undifferentiated spondyloarthropy, HLA-B27+, iritis, Vit D3: 6000 IU/day, trochanter bursitis, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, migraines, SI joint dysfunction/hypermobility, DDD L4/L5 and L3/L4, straightening of cervical spine, impaired glucose tolerance, sleep apnea.

#247442 - 01/23/13 08:13 AM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks Sean - I was taking it for my SpA, not as an antibiotic, though. The old saying was never truer - everybody responds differently to potential treatments! I was very optimistic as the literature re: turmeric's anti-inflammatory powers is pretty decent. Bummed that it didn't work for me frown But it didn't give me any side effects either.

#249279 - 03/01/13 09:54 PM Re: Turmeric fights inflammation!!! [Re: petunia]
ottawah Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
I take to tumeric daily as well. The brand I use is called Meriva. I'm not sure if it has helped me because I'm in a bad flare, however it is possible I would be much worse without it. Certainly there is some good medical research showing the biological pathways through which tumeric appears to work. Tonight we had curry which was both spicey and full if tumeric. I'd happily eat that everyday especially if it would help with my arthritis.

There is an Indian remedy called Golden milk which has milk, honey and I think oil and tumeric which you heat together and drink. Some people report that this is very helpful for them. I have a friend from India who says that to ward of flu and colds, her mother would feed her a spoon of honey mixed with tumeric.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan