Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#223503 - 12/16/11 07:41 PM sore, swollen toe
nisey Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: PA
I woke up this morning with my pinky toe sore, swollen and red. I've never had this happen before. I know some of you deal with this from time to time. What works the best for you to find some relief? It hurts like a bugger! I would appreciate any and all ideas and suggestions!

Thanks!
Nisey

#223504 - 12/16/11 08:19 PM Re: sore, swollen toe [Re: nisey]
Shirley Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: Wellington, New Zealand
I'm about to try voltaren emulgel on my big toe, which is in a similar state to your pinky toe. It helps me a bit with achilles inflammation, but I haven't tried it on my toe before.
Peripheral and axial AS diagnosed October 2011 aged 50, more than 15 years after the symptoms started. Also PCOS, GERD/oesophagitis/dysphagia, IBS, asthma,chronic rhinitis. Taking enbrel, methotrexate, meloxicam prn, folic acid, omeprazole, vitamin D, metformin, steroid inhaler & nasal spray and eating low starch/low GI.

#223510 - 12/16/11 09:20 PM Re: sore, swollen toe [Re: Shirley]
sequoia
Unregistered

wow nisey and shirley! what deja vu! i just an hour ago slathered scads of voltaren cream/gel on my left foot. i get the huge, swollen, red, burning sausage toes and feet. weirdly it only goes 1/2 way up the foot. on the top and bottom from toes into my arch. my achilles seems to be swollen independently
and usually at different times.

never tried it before, it just worked.

so go for it, both of you, and hope it works for you.

nisey, if you don't have voltaren, use ice pak or bag of frozen veggies.

good luck and let me know if it worked for you both!

yay, good timing, nisey.

prayers, sequoia

#223517 - 12/17/11 01:16 AM Re: sore, swollen toe [Re: ]
Shirley Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: Wellington, New Zealand
Yep it did the trick for me too.:-)
Peripheral and axial AS diagnosed October 2011 aged 50, more than 15 years after the symptoms started. Also PCOS, GERD/oesophagitis/dysphagia, IBS, asthma,chronic rhinitis. Taking enbrel, methotrexate, meloxicam prn, folic acid, omeprazole, vitamin D, metformin, steroid inhaler & nasal spray and eating low starch/low GI.

#223519 - 12/17/11 06:41 AM Re: sore, swollen toe [Re: Shirley]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
you poor dears and your poor feet! I wish I could hug you all!! thank goodness for this forum so we are able to find and commiserate with one another!
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#223540 - 12/17/11 11:04 AM Re: sore, swollen toe [Re: JenInCincy]
nisey Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: PA
Thanks everybody. Misery loves company, huh? They recently took me off my Mtx. My blood work was coming back with problems. Now I have plantar fascitis in my right heal and a swollen toe on my left foot! Not sure what foot to stand on. wink I don't have any volteran gel. I assume it is prescription, right? I'll try the ice sequoia. Thanks everyone and if anyone else has ANYTHING they use that works, I'm willing to give it a try!

Blessings,
Nisey

#223545 - 12/17/11 12:34 PM Re: sore, swollen toe [Re: nisey]
sequoia
Unregistered

call the doc on monday morning, nisey...i don't think it was very expensive and it comes in a huge tube. it is worth the call. as i said it works well on the achilles tendon, not only at the heel but up the calf (your a. tendon goes up the calf aways).

prayers for you. ice is the only other thing that temporarily works for me.

s.

#223587 - 12/18/11 09:52 PM Re: sore, swollen toe [Re: ]
sunflower Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Kansas
Could you get that stuff from the GP? Or does it have to be a pain doctor? I have horrible pain in my upper back that is starting to get better with the weekly, but it is debilitating many days for me. It keeps me from being able to do lots of things, because it affects how well I can use my arms. It would be wonderful to be able to treat just THAT pain on the bad days and not need the pain pills until the end of the day.

#223592 - 12/19/11 07:26 AM Re: sore, swollen toe [Re: sunflower]
sequoia
Unregistered

both of you, a pcp prescribes mine. it is not pain med like vicoden or stuff. just dicflonac (sp?) cream i think.

call this morning everyone.

s.

#223634 - 12/20/11 12:57 AM Re: sore, swollen toe [Re: ]
Aim Offline
Registered Visitor

Nisey, I get the swollen toes (sausage digits sounds gross) thing also and ice works best for me, at least temporarily. Motrin also seems to help in a pinch (or anything anti-inflammatory). Luckily, I have found this type of issue is what I've heard on this board referred to as a "hit and run" type of pain. It's often "here today, gone tomorrow." So hope it doesn't last too long for you and doesn't recur too often. If it does, get it checked out. Good luck!
Amy, 42, officially diagnosed finally with PsA, on MTX and just starting Remicade. Also have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, secondary FMS (?), IBS, GERD, and possibly endometriosis. Have had various symptoms since teens. Married for 17 years to college sweetheart; we have one amazing 8 year old son.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved