Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#229420 - 03/11/12 03:00 PM Prednisone & BIPOLAR - WARNING!!!
diehardhusky11 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
Article on taking prednisone with bipolar disorder

I came close to being psychotic last night... it was only with 20 mg...

If you are bipolar or prone to being manic for any reason -- be extremely careful with steroids. If you must have it - make sure you counteract with some kind of a downer like klonopin or muscle relaxant.

H.
1998-2004 Rheumatoid Arthritis, remission 2004-2010, March 2010 to May 2014 (RA, AS, Inflammatory Arth, PsA) Enbrel user-use 25 mg pre-mixed 3x a week.(pre-mix has no latex)(Allergic to "Sure Click Enbrel"-has latex) Remicade June 2014 to current (Grandfather had AS, PsA) "We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us."

#229436 - 03/11/12 06:24 PM Re: Prednisone & BIPOLAR - WARNING!!! [Re: diehardhusky11]
Sabrina81 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Morrisville, NC
I have had anxiety attacks on them and other mood swings. i was dx'd bipolar as a teen but no meds/treatment ever. I agree though that there should be more warnings on steroids for the mental side effects that accompany them. I've never had a doc explain any one them to me and one thought i was crazy when I told her about the anxiety attack like there was no one it was related. It was very real and very scary. My husband is normally fairly laid back but was nervous and unaware how to handle it.

#229442 - 03/11/12 10:05 PM Re: Prednisone & BIPOLAR - WARNING!!! [Re: Sabrina81]
KimD592 Offline
Registered Visitor

I have had terrible anxiety with being on the Prednisone, and definitely have what I call mood swings. Fortunately it has improved some, since decreasing to 5 mg, but I am definitely more on edge than I have ever been. Not to mention the terrible physical side effects. Yuck!

#229444 - 03/11/12 11:08 PM Re: Prednisone & BIPOLAR - WARNING!!! [Re: KimD592]
Shirley Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: Wellington, New Zealand
Yep I get really hyper, restless, can't sleep etc when I'm on 40mg per day but settle down a fair bit when on 20mg per day.
Peripheral and axial AS diagnosed October 2011 aged 50, more than 15 years after the symptoms started. Also PCOS, GERD/oesophagitis/dysphagia, IBS, asthma,chronic rhinitis. Taking enbrel, methotrexate, meloxicam prn, folic acid, omeprazole, vitamin D, metformin, steroid inhaler & nasal spray and eating low starch/low GI.

#229494 - 03/12/12 03:50 PM Re: Prednisone & BIPOLAR - WARNING!!! [Re: Shirley]
sunflower Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Kansas
Doctors don't give enough warning about this medicine! I used to get almost hysterically angry while on it. Now I have some Xanax to take and that helps. It is terrible stuff!! I could see myself getting horribly angry on it, without being able to control it. Very weird. Savella does the same thing to me.

#230068 - 03/21/12 02:07 AM Re: Prednisone & BIPOLAR - WARNING!!! [Re: sunflower]
Jennyfoo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Folsom, CA
Just SIJ injections wire me, bring on a semi-manic state for 2 days. I can't imagine taking oral steroids
-Jenn. SAHM with 4 kids. Diagnosed with AS('08) Psoriasis, probable Sjogrens(won't do lip biopsy), Fibromyalgia, Chiari Malformation, PCOS, endometriosis, diabetes(type 1), metabolic syndrome, mild hypothyroidism...
Remicade & MTX.

*I am in no way associated with the medical profession other than doing my best to keep them in business. Any advice I give is purely my own opinion and should not be substituted for qualified professional care.

#230094 - 03/21/12 11:21 AM Re: Prednisone & BIPOLAR - WARNING!!! [Re: Jennyfoo]
cemc Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
I had a look at the info sheet in my prednisolone pack and it actually gave a clear warning about bipolar and steroids, as well as a milder warning about mental illness generally and steroids.
Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current meds: Codeine phosphate, occasional diazepam (Guts shredded by NSAIDs). Previously diclofenac worked well.

#230154 - 03/22/12 06:25 AM Re: Prednisone & BIPOLAR - WARNING!!! [Re: cemc]
Qadosh2Him Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: USA
I have severe asthma in addition to PsA so am verrry familiar with steroids and their evil side effects. As I write this I'm on 60 mg of prednisone...doing a taper at three days on each level (decreasing by 10 mg every three days). They make me nuts (yes, I have the dx of Bipolar also.) Angry, agitated, sleepless (not to mention FAT) and weaken my muscles to the degree that I once spent 3 years in a wheelchair and was told I'd never walk again. BTW , do NOT fear that this will happen to you. That was with HIGH doses of solule medrol (an IV steroid solution)over a period of weeks. Steroids have saved my life numerous times...so I feel slightly guilty hating their little white guts. But I do anyway.
PsA, HLA B27 negative. 50 mg Enbrel subQ weekly. 60 mg morphine sulfate; 15mg oxycodone....No MTX because of immunity issues.Cannot take NSAIDs due to GI bleed. Have generalized PsA and psoriatic spondylitis Have had bilateral hip replacements; next up: shoulders and elbow

#230155 - 03/22/12 06:48 AM Re: Prednisone & BIPOLAR - WARNING!!! [Re: Qadosh2Him]
KimD592 Offline
Registered Visitor

Qadosh, I feel the same way. I am currently on 5 mg of Prednisone but had tapered down from 100 mg. I felt exactly as you described...angry, agitated, sleepless, and fat. I was just saying to my husband last night that I finally feel a little more emotionally stable now. I was feeling very anxious, while on the higher doses of Pred. Now that I am down to a lower dose, I feel much more normal.

#231218 - 04/13/12 03:59 AM Re: Prednisone & BIPOLAR - WARNING!!! [Re: KimD592]
Shirley Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: Wellington, New Zealand
I'm on my second day of 40mg of pred + antibiotics for a sinus infection. I was ok last night and hoped I might avoid the restless legs this time. But no, here they are, just as I'm heading to bed... Fortunately only three more days at 40mg before going down to 20mg...
Peripheral and axial AS diagnosed October 2011 aged 50, more than 15 years after the symptoms started. Also PCOS, GERD/oesophagitis/dysphagia, IBS, asthma,chronic rhinitis. Taking enbrel, methotrexate, meloxicam prn, folic acid, omeprazole, vitamin D, metformin, steroid inhaler & nasal spray and eating low starch/low GI.

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved