Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#233722 - 05/21/12 07:55 PM Tender Spot on Rib
MrsJ74 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: VA
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. For the last few months tender spot on rib right under where bra sits. It's not the whole rib or any other ribs (like costochondritis). It's just if I press on it or my bra rubs it, it's very tender. Any thoughts? Tried to analyze my darn bone scan again looking for a spot, but Google is making my head explode& who has the energy w/ AS to clean up that mess? smile I know,,terrible sense of humor..but gotta take what I can get smile

#233723 - 05/21/12 08:18 PM Re: Tender Spot on Rib [Re: MrsJ74]
Shirley Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Wellington, New Zealand
Yes I have had this on and off for years. My GP said it was costochondritis even though it was just in one place, although a locum once said it was breast related. Nothing showed up in my bone scan. Last year it moved to different ribs on the other side and this year my whole chest wall was inflamed and tender to touch and that was definitely AS as it has responded to prednisone and humira.
Peripheral and axial AS diagnosed October 2011 aged 50, more than 15 years after the symptoms started. Also PCOS, GERD/oesophagitis/dysphagia, IBS, asthma,chronic rhinitis. Taking humira, methotrexate, meloxicam prn, folic acid, omeprazole, vitamin D, metformin, steroid inhaler & nasal spray and eating low starch/low GI.

#233726 - 05/21/12 09:39 PM Re: Tender Spot on Rib [Re: MrsJ74]
winelover Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
there is a point about breast level, below the armpit that is where a large back muscle attaches - if that muscle is tight, the attachment point can be AGONY
I think it's the latissimus dorsi........ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latissimus_dorsi_muscle

#233733 - 05/22/12 04:17 AM Re: Tender Spot on Rib [Re: MrsJ74]
MrsJ74 Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks for the info. It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one out there w/ all these random body part issues smile

#233734 - 05/22/12 04:40 AM Re: Tender Spot on Rib [Re: MrsJ74]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
Try not to wear bras, they do make it worse. Sorry.

#233736 - 05/22/12 05:05 AM Re: Tender Spot on Rib [Re: MrsJ74]
Bella22 Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: Southeastern Massachusetts
Oh yeah - that's what started this whole nightmare for me. Started with pain below my left arm pit, level with the breast. Felt like the bone in my bra was stabbing me. Changed bras & even deodorant & still had on & off stabbing pain. It wasn't until six months later when I woke up with groin pain that I went to the GP. Thought I had lymphoma. Because I also had a rash on my chest and back (I hadn't noticed) the doc suspected autoimmune disease & referred me to Rheumy. Also had ankle/knee pain on bouts of uveitis. Rheumy said yep it's all connected to the same disease. Just a suggestion. I found the Genie bra (on QVC & at BJ's - around $30 for a three pack - beige, white & black) that really helps. I'll never go back to an underwire again. Even on MTX & relafen I still get the pain once in a while. Half a vicodin keeps it at bay.
Dx: Spondyloarthropathy/Connective Tissue Disorder (2/12), AS (9/12) HLA B27 negative, sacroilitis on x-ray - Current Meds: Methotrexate (20 mg), Leucovorin (30 mg), Protonix, Relafen, Vicodin and Tramadol PRN, Enbrel (9/12)

#233753 - 05/22/12 09:28 AM Re: Tender Spot on Rib [Re: MrsJ74]
cemc Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
My costo started many many years ago with really quite small patches that were very painful, and not right where ribs join onto sternum. Now I get pain in so many places its hard to find any bits of rib that don't hurt. Drives me mad.
Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current meds: Codeine phosphate, occasional diazepam (Guts shredded by NSAIDs). Previously diclofenac worked well.

#233756 - 05/22/12 10:59 AM Re: Tender Spot on Rib [Re: MrsJ74]
MrsJ74 Offline
Registered Visitor

That's how mine flares sometimes, which is why I thought it odd that pain is now only in that one area. I'm sorry you're hurting like that all over. AS is truly a pain..everywhere frown

#233769 - 05/22/12 03:02 PM Re: Tender Spot on Rib [Re: MrsJ74]
avonldy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: N. Sacramento Valley
I was told that my rib pain was caused by the cartilage between the ribs being inflamed. It made sense to me. The rib pain comes and goes with the inflammation everywhere else.
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain

#233792 - 05/22/12 07:45 PM Re: Tender Spot on Rib [Re: MrsJ74]
MrsJ74 Offline
Registered Visitor

That's usually how my costochondritis is, but this is actually when I touch one particular spot on the actual rib bone itself. Threw me off bc it was different from the usual.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved