Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#234653 - 06/07/12 08:50 PM How long for Humira to work for you?
britta75 Offline
Registered Visitor

If Humira worked for you, how long did it take before you felt the effects? I know they say it can take up to 3 months but I am just wondering what real peoples' experiences are. Thanks in advance for your reply smile
Sharon, 38 year old mom to a 5 year old and 3 year old twins. Diagnosed Undifferentiated Spondylitis 04/12. HLA-B27 negative. Currently switching from Gabapentin and Cymbalta to Savella; also taking Humira, Trazadone, Cyclobenzaprene, Vit D and Tramadol.

#234654 - 06/07/12 09:51 PM Re: How long for Humira to work for you? [Re: britta75]
iviary Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: North Texas
I felt the first sign that it was working at 2 months. I believe it was my 5th injection. I did my injections on Friday nights at the time and I woke up that Saturday morning with so much energy! I had much less morning stiffness that day too. I was so excited to feel up to doing anything besides moping on the couch that I went and did yard work all day, which put me into a flare the next day. :P The pain wasn't significantly different right off the bat, but that came little by little with more injections. I did end up going to weekly injections after 4 months because it never lasted longer than 7 to 9 days for me and I was on a constant roller coaster of feeling better and flaring.

#234677 - 06/08/12 08:57 AM Re: How long for Humira to work for you? [Re: britta75]
daisy51 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Canada
Hi Britta, I just did my 5th injection and somewhere between the 4th and 5th injection it seems to have kicked in. I am combining it with regular exercise (walking) and I'm changing my diet just trying to cut out sugar and not so much red meat. I feel so much better but I know its the Humira!

Before I started I was a mess, inflammation in my shoulders, elbows, hands, knees, neck and especially hips and back. Now I have very little pain, just the normal stiffness from damage done.

So I pray it works for you and gives you some relief! Best to you !

#234679 - 06/08/12 09:07 AM Re: How long for Humira to work for you? [Re: britta75]
rubylou Offline
Registered Visitor

Humira worked for me within days. My fingers were the only symptom I had at the time but they were grossly swollen and painful and within days (3-4) the swelling went wayyyy down and the pain almost completely subsided.

#234683 - 06/08/12 09:49 AM Re: How long for Humira to work for you? [Re: britta75]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
I was on it for 4 months and it didn't do a thing. frown

The clinical trials showed that about a third of the people who got Humira (versus placebo) improved about 50% (using the BASDAI scale) within 2 weeks; 52% within 6 weeks; and 57% within 12 weeks.

Week 12 response also varies by age group.
Age 18-29: 75% improved at least 50% by week 12
Age 30-39: 65% improved at least 50% by week 12
Age 40+: 50% improved at least 50% by week 12

About 60% of those who were HLA-B27+ had 50% improvement by week 12; for B27- the number is 54%.

41% of people who had tried other anti-TNFs had 50% improvement by week 12; 63% in the case of those who had not been on another anti-TNF.

Of course none of this should be construed as a definite prediction! But looks like you have a good shot at some relief. Hang in there. The waiting is so hard.
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#234750 - 06/09/12 04:37 PM Re: How long for Humira to work for you? [Re: britta75]
StLouis Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Because I have uveitis and I did not want to change back to Enbrel, my doctor increased my dosage from every 14 days to every 12 days and I am doing very well. Keep your doctor up to date on your progress or lack there of.

#234762 - 06/09/12 09:42 PM Re: How long for Humira to work for you? [Re: britta75]
smittygirl50 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
It took almost 4 months for me but after 8 months I feel it is no longer working. I inject weekly and due to chronic Uveitis my eye doc says Humira targets it where Enbrel doesn't. If it has stopped working I'm not sure there is anything else out there that will help me. I was on Enbrel a few years ago but had a positive ppd and was taken off of it. I hope you it works for you!

Dx AS 04' HLA-B27 positive, Chronic Uveitis, Raynauds, 11/12 MRI of C-spine dx 4 bulging disks with severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
Humira wkly, MX wkly, Folic Acid, Navanac daily, Vicoprophen PRN, Flexeril, recently failed Remicade, back on Humira wkly.

#234763 - 06/09/12 11:04 PM Re: How long for Humira to work for you? [Re: britta75]
Shirley Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Wellington, New Zealand
Started helping almost straight away, but helping more after a couple of months. I'm certainly not 100% but the inflammation is considerably reduced (crp inflammation level in my blood down from 39 to 15 when normal 0-7) and the fatigue is not nearly as severe. My back is more flexible (can do shoe laces up when seated with my feet on the floor which I couldn't do before) but my chest expansion's still not great.

Edited by Shirley (06/10/12 12:23 AM)
Edit Reason: added a bit
Peripheral and axial AS diagnosed October 2011 aged 50, more than 15 years after the symptoms started. Also PCOS, GERD/oesophagitis/dysphagia, IBS, asthma,chronic rhinitis. Taking enbrel, methotrexate, meloxicam prn, folic acid, omeprazole, vitamin D, metformin, steroid inhaler & nasal spray and eating low starch/low GI.

#234767 - 06/10/12 08:00 AM Re: How long for Humira to work for you? [Re: britta75]
Val Offline
Registered Visitor

I switched from Remicade to Humira a few months ago. I had to go 8 weeks with nothing, so was pretty miserable by the time I did the first Humira shot. I noticed an improvement immediately. For me, the issue was dosage. I started at every 14 days but it really only lasted for 7. We tried every 10 days but that just meant I had 3-4 days of rapid decline (for me, I notice the effects quickly but also decline quickly). I have been doing every 7 days for 3 weeks now and am doing very well: lots of energy, pain is pretty minimal (I do take about 5 mg hydrocodone daily as well as Lyrica), and my guts are working so much better. Strangely, my eyes ache more (I think the Remicade worked a little better on staving off Iritis than does the Humira; but the Humira is much better on my GI inflammation). I also love that it takes about 3 minutes to give myself a shot as opposed to the three hours every month with the Remicade infusion. I just hope that I get a long respite from the pain, fatigue, etc. with the Humira.

#234768 - 06/10/12 08:29 AM Re: How long for Humira to work for you? [Re: britta75]
barrington Offline
Registered Visitor

Sharon,
Humira didn't work for me but one of my doctors felt strongly that you had to give it up to 6 months before concluding that it didn't work. Clearly if you are in a lot of pain waiting 6 months feels almost impossible! I hope it works for you!
Jenny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved