Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#235189 - 06/18/12 08:18 PM Numbness in fingers when in bed
skid Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: NSW, Australia
My middle two fingers have been going numb when sleeping (on both hands). Sleeping on my back is fine but on my side and stomach they go numb within 30 seconds. It tends to happen when I have done some manual work in the lead-up (using chainsaws, carrying/gripping stuff). It must be some inflamation somewhere restricting something as during the bad times it happenes when driving and gripping other things like cross trainers etc.

My middle toes get something similar in the cold which is odd as I wouldn't think the two are connected - at times like when standing in cold water fishing or surfing.

My Rheumy dismissed it, but I want to be a bit more informed when I talk to other doctors. Anyone have any thoughts?
Newly diagnosed AS sufferer, HLA-B27 - have suffered with it for 20 years but recent massive flare up after a stomach bug confirmed. On MTX (folic), Salazopyrin and NSAID not effective, just started Simponi

#235197 - 06/18/12 09:02 PM Re: Numbness in fingers when in bed [Re: skid]
KimD592 Offline
Registered Visitor

Could be carpal tunnel or some type of nerve impingement. Have you tried wearing a wrist brace at night to see if that helps?

#235198 - 06/18/12 09:03 PM Re: Numbness in fingers when in bed [Re: skid]
iviary Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: North Texas
Do you know how you hold your hands when you sleep on your side or stomach? Many people curl their hands in toward themselves in that position, which can aggravate carpal tunnel syndrome. There is a link between Carpal Tunnel and SpA, since much as you surmised, the inflammation can impinge on those nerves. You might try using wrist braces in bed. It takes a little while to get used to sleeping in them, but you'll get the hang of it. Heck, I worked an espresso bar in wrist braces for about a year! :P

#235201 - 06/18/12 09:54 PM Re: Numbness in fingers when in bed [Re: skid]
skid Offline
Registered Visitor

Yeah I thought carpal tunnel, but a couple of things make me think it might be another nerve. I think carpal effects ring finger and maybe thumb as well. Mine is definitely only middle fingers. I also suspect it might be coming from my neck/shoulder region, rather than my wrist. Yes I do sleep with my wrist cocked sometimes, but it happens when I am just lying without it cocked which makes me think neck/shoulders might be involved in impinging the nerve some way! I'll keep experiementing to I can narrow it down.

Thanks
Newly diagnosed AS sufferer, HLA-B27 - have suffered with it for 20 years but recent massive flare up after a stomach bug confirmed. On MTX (folic), Salazopyrin and NSAID not effective, just started Simponi

#235208 - 06/19/12 05:34 AM Re: Numbness in fingers when in bed [Re: skid]
iviary Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: North Texas
When you say middle two fingers, what do you mean? The middle and ring finger? Middle and index? Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can actually effect the thumb and every finger except the pinky. My mom's hit her in her thumb, index and middle fingers before she had surgery to correct it.

I'm usually effected in the ring and pinky fingers (and the portion of the hand below them), which my neurologist says is from impingement in the elbow, but it's easiest to just say carpal tunnel. wink

#235209 - 06/19/12 06:08 AM Re: Numbness in fingers when in bed [Re: skid]
NotMeToo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: United States
Numbness and tingling in the middle finger to the thumb would usually be due to carpel tunnel. Middle finger to the pinkie would generally be due to cubital tunnel. - Although I agree with Mary, it is easier to call it carpel tunnel when talking to others since they tend to look at you like you have three heads when you mention cubital tunnel.

#235213 - 06/19/12 06:24 AM Re: Numbness in fingers when in bed [Re: skid]
KimD592 Offline
Registered Visitor

I remember when I first developed enthesitis in my hands, I was reading about carpal tunnel, thinking that was the cause for my pain. I read that carpal tunnel can affect any of the fingers from the thumb to the ring finger, but it does not affect the pinkie.

#235228 - 06/19/12 12:46 PM Re: Numbness in fingers when in bed [Re: skid]
cemc Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
I would say consider neck rather than carpal tunnel. Middle fingers can be from C7 or C8 nerve entrapment, and its just so easy to have your head not quite in the right position at night which could easily mean nerves getting pinched if you have neck problems anyway.
Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current meds: Codeine phosphate, occasional diazepam (Guts shredded by NSAIDs). Previously diclofenac worked well.

#235241 - 06/19/12 03:54 PM Re: Numbness in fingers when in bed [Re: skid]
Shine Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Sydney
I get the same thing. Mine comes from my neck and shoulder area. The physio really helps. After a good treatment I can last nearly two weeks without the numbness happening. She uses trigger point therapy and it hurts! When she pushes in to the problematic spot I get severe pain right down my arm and into my hands. By doing this she is actually releasing the pressure on the nerves. I need regular treatments to keep things in check. What causes my hand numbness also contributes to my neck pain.

Currently on no meds. Managing with many different natural approaches. Doctor would like me to take DMARD after NSAIDs didn't work or caused allergic reaction.

Studying Nutritional Medicine part time and mother to lovely 5yr old daughter

#235243 - 06/19/12 04:55 PM Re: Numbness in fingers when in bed [Re: skid]
skid Offline
Registered Visitor

After another night of experimenting with sleeping conditions I am convinced it is radiating from my neck - so most likely an entraped or pinched nerve - makes sense as the inflamation in my neck has been pretty bad and my grip has been worse. I have had a previous loss of strength before in one side of my body many years ago which needed a CT guided steriod injection to fix, so sounds like this is where it is coming from. It is my middle finger and ring finger which also corresponds with an entrapement of the Ulner. Now to the physio or doctor!

Thanks guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved