Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#236157 - 07/06/12 12:21 PM Spine freezing up- a jolt then seering pain?
tropicalisland Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New Jersey
Something really strange happened to me today while sitting at the breakfast table. I am on vacation and have admittedly been overdoing it for several days in a row by doing multiple scuba dives and snorkel trips per day. Here is a description of the incident:

I was drinking my coffee and I felt relatively normal (as normal as I could possibly feel). Then, out of nowhere, I felt a sharp electrical jolt spanning my T and C spine and in my sternum (I have had costo lately). I thought the jolt would pass, but I sat there for over two-three minutes in agony. I could not twist my spine even a millimeter in either direction without pain reaching a 12 on the 10 scale (I am usually conservative when describing my pain, often assigning it a 4 or 5). I was literally frozen. I didn't know what to do. I honestly thought I needed an ambulance because I felt paralyzed. After about three minutes, I was able to move, but my pain was still a 7 at that time. Over the course of 1/2 hour, the pain went away. Now, a few hours later, I am just stiff

Has anyone experienced anything like this before (I truly hope you haven't). It was frightening. What in the world could it be? Thanks in advance.

Edited by tropicalisland (07/06/12 12:22 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling error
41 y/o female, diagnosed RA 2009, sacroiliitis, peripheral arthritis, most major joints involved, HLA-B27- but suspect AS or spondylitis, Raynaud's, GERD, currently taking Orencia sub-Q, Mtx via injection, citalopram, omeprazole, tramadol, Cyclobenzaprine.

2012 - diagnosed with colitis and iritis and seronegative arthritis.

Failed - Enbrel (stopped working after 10 months), Humira (no effect) and Remicade (failed after two years).

#236174 - 07/06/12 04:57 PM Re: Spine freezing up- a jolt then seering pain? [Re: tropicalisland]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
That sounds awful. Are you on vacation with friends or family? If so, tell them what happened, and if it happens again, get seen by a doctor!!!
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#236175 - 07/06/12 05:11 PM Re: Spine freezing up- a jolt then seering pain? [Re: tropicalisland]
tropicalisland Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks Jen. I am with my husband. He was out diving when this happened, and I was eating breakfast by myself. I told him what happened later. I hope it doesn't happen again. It was scary.

41 y/o female, diagnosed RA 2009, sacroiliitis, peripheral arthritis, most major joints involved, HLA-B27- but suspect AS or spondylitis, Raynaud's, GERD, currently taking Orencia sub-Q, Mtx via injection, citalopram, omeprazole, tramadol, Cyclobenzaprine.

Failed - Enbrel (stopped working after 10 months), Humira (no effect) and Remicade (failed after two years).

#236176 - 07/06/12 05:12 PM Re: Spine freezing up- a jolt then seering pain? [Re: tropicalisland]
sequoia
Unregistered

dear island. F.L.A.R.E.

the exact same happened to me twice. the first time i really didn't move at all normally, for about 3 days, modified bathroom positions, LOL. the second time, a few months later, i just forced myself to move out of the stuck position by placing myself on the floor and doing stretching exercises. i was finally dxd a couple of months after the second incident with all the symptoms of this demon dx.

both times, i had fever, unexplained, and with the back and lower spine/si joint pain thot i had the flu.

nah, just the AS> you can get it checked out with an xray to look for breaks of the spots where the enthesitis is occurring if you are worried there might be a break. but, if you moved at all, try the slow stretching.

sorry, yes, it is scary. now, everything is scary for about a minute or two, then i go on with life.

do not blame your activities, you are having fun. keep at it. you would likely get frozen without the activities.

peace, sequoia
have a good rest of the vaca. do you have any preddy? might help in the short run. some folks here take preddy with them on vacas just for these purposes.

Edited by sequoia (07/06/12 05:14 PM)

#236177 - 07/06/12 05:17 PM Re: Spine freezing up- a jolt then seering pain? [Re: tropicalisland]
tropicalisland Offline
Registered Visitor

Sequoia, I am oh so glad to read your post, but sorry this has happened to you. I didn't bring my friend preddy, but I am not at my maximum NSAID dose right now. I can double the Voltaren and add some cyclobenzaprine.

Thank you do much for reassuring me. You have saved me a night of high anxiety smile

#236215 - 07/07/12 08:13 AM Re: Spine freezing up- a jolt then seering pain? [Re: tropicalisland]
cemc Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
Increasing the voltaren and adding the muscle relaxant may be just what you need. What you describe doesn't sound too different from some of my worst "muscle spasm" episodes (easiest way to describe them), that really did give that awful nerve pain as well. That was at the time when I was just getting worse and worse and had never been on any treatment at all. The only thing that stopped it was diazepam. Then once I got onto regular full strength NSAIDS I just didn't seem to get it like that again at all. Even though I currently don't take NSAIDs I haven't had it that bad again, partly because if it gets even close I get a steroid pack. My theory is uncontrolled inflammation does contribute to severe muscle spasm, and the muscles can get so tight over nerves that they compress them.

Your suggested drug changes (increasing voltaren to maximum, etc) may well deal with it. If your back feels tight still before all that kicks in, then try heat or ice.
Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares

#236216 - 07/07/12 08:24 AM Re: Spine freezing up- a jolt then seering pain? [Re: tropicalisland]
sequoia
Unregistered

oh, i think the muscle relaxant would be the trick. i have myasthenia gravis, and cannot use muscle relaxants. i also use the voltaren cream/gel to practically bathe in LOL. ice and heat combo too. forgot all of this. brain too fogged last night.

s.

#236221 - 07/07/12 10:27 AM Re: Spine freezing up- a jolt then seering pain? [Re: tropicalisland]
tropicalisland Offline
Registered Visitor

Cemc, thanks for the info. The muscle relaxant helped a lot. Perhaps it was a major spasm compressing the nerves. It was weird and creepy and scary.

Thank you all for reassuring me.

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved