Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#236535 - 07/11/12 04:20 PM which job
muruga Offline
Registered Visitor

hi, i have SIjoint pain, chest pain on top of chest, and because of that difficulty with breathing and restlessness, and also achellis tendonitis, iam suffering like this for 1and half years daily before being diagnosed, my question is given my condition what job is suitBLE for me? I need make money for medication and family pls reply

#236551 - 07/11/12 08:46 PM Re: which job [Re: muruga]
iviary Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: North Texas
It really completely depends on your skill set. Some jobs are better suited for those with our symptoms than others, but there's no "perfect" job. What skills do you have?

#236567 - 07/12/12 02:14 AM Re: which job [Re: muruga]
muruga Offline
Registered Visitor

Iam a doctor, having disease myself,what to do

#236581 - 07/12/12 07:44 AM Re: which job [Re: muruga]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Are you unable to continue practicing medicine? I work with a doctor who has a health condition in her hips that eventually precluded her from practice (she is a pediatrician.) She took a more administrative job here at our hospital and only works in the outpatient clinic a few times a month. What country do you live in?

Also - if you have just recently been diagnosed, have hope that your condition will improve with treatment! Be patient, as it may take some time, through trial & error, to settle on your optimal treatment plan.

Here is another doctor with AS - a fairly severe case, too, I believe. Happens he's also a world renowned expert clinician & researcher on the disease, too smile He literally "wrote the book" on the disease.

http://www.metrohealth.org/physiciandirectory/PhysicianDetail.aspx?ID=020792
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#236643 - 07/12/12 08:42 PM Re: which job [Re: muruga]
muruga Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks for response, i feel something saying inside when i write medicines to patients it says" iam myself sick what credibility i have to cure other patients," this thought haunts me that iam playing a double life,iam in india, iam an internist wanted to become a surgeon but i wont be able to become one because of backpain, heelpain and chest discomfort, can i shift to non clinical discipline that doesnot involve patient contact and which involves sitting more amount of time. ? Will i be able to do jobs that involve sitting mor time, bcoz i get more pain if i sit for long hours

#236682 - 07/13/12 08:00 AM Re: which job [Re: muruga]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
I can see where you have those feelings of self-doubt - but your disease is not due to a moral failure or lack of self-care on your part! Nothing you can do could have prevented its occurrence. Some professional therapy might be a big help for you to deal with all the feelings you are having.

I suggest talking to older/wiser physicians - do you have any sort of mentor, or perhaps your department chair? - to look into options. You are right, sitting around for a long time is no good.

What treatment are you taking?
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#236698 - 07/13/12 09:27 AM Re: which job [Re: muruga]
muruga Offline
Registered Visitor

I took ibuprofen, piroxicam sometimes and salazar ( sulfasalazine) since salazar has lot of advers effects i discontinued it, i cannot believe iam taking the same drugs that i used to prescribe myself l, i try siddha medications that seems to work with the pain and tingling part but not sure about longterm results so planning to restart salazar next week, i personally feel if cure for regular viruses are invented then we can avoid these autoimmune diseases, for large, govt should fund research involving cure for EBV and HSV etc by that the time there is cure we wont be alive ironically

#238294 - 08/07/12 05:53 AM Re: which job [Re: muruga]
pilotmike5 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Hardest part I've experienced in living with this disease is understanding how to make it manageable because of it's inconsistencies. I think it's best to plan for the not so good days and work with that as your baseline. It's difficult emotionally to work this way because I'm sure when you are feeling well you want to conquer the world. It's tough to live this way.

I don't have any information on the laws and regulations in your country however I think the single most important thing you can do aside from being proactive in regards to your healthcare is to educate yourself on what help is available to you. Most of us have limited disabilities at one time or another and the fact that it occurs sporatically and is not stamped on our heads make it difficult for us to be percieved as being in need of assistance. Don't let that discourage you.

-Mike
33 Brooklyn, NY
Sleep apnea
Fatigue
Anxiety