Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240753 - 09/19/12 09:23 PM To Buy or Rent.........
sunshine01 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: California
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to decide if I should rent or buy a cane. I am starting to need one, just not all the time as of yet. Just need it when I am out and about for extended periods of time or if there are some steps I have to go up/down.

The thought is if I rent one the cost might equal or exceede the cost of buying one.

Any suggestions on where to buy one? Maybe something stylish? I am not a vain person however I am young and would like it to fit.

Any help would be great!

Sorry for typos and spelling errors, I'm typing on my phone!

AS-Humira and dicolfinac, Fibro-same as the migraine cocktail, migraines-diclofinac, Cymbalta and Promethazine.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."-Eleanor Roosevelt

#240754 - 09/19/12 10:09 PM Re: To Buy or Rent......... [Re: sunshine01]
Shirley Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Wellington, New Zealand
Hi no ideas on where to buy them etc, the main thing is that you'd need to make sure it was the right size for you and someone like a physio or something should show you how to use it right. If you use one that's the wrong length or don't use it correctly, you could make the pain worse.

I've seen some canes here that have flowers on, adjust to different lengths, and fold down small enough to put in a bag when you don't need it, that might be useful if you only need it sometimes?
Peripheral and axial AS diagnosed October 2011 aged 50, more than 15 years after the symptoms started. Also PCOS, GERD/oesophagitis/dysphagia, IBS, asthma,chronic rhinitis. Taking enbrel, methotrexate, meloxicam prn, folic acid, omeprazole, vitamin D, metformin, steroid inhaler & nasal spray and eating low starch/low GI.

#240756 - 09/20/12 01:56 AM Re: To Buy or Rent......... [Re: sunshine01]
Jennyfoo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Folsom, CA
Why would you even consider renting one? Medical supply companies jack up the rental prices so much that you could usually buy for less than 3 months rent; especially lower priced items. I got a tens unit through my insurance. I thought the $35 payment was my 20% copay(this was before I had done any research & cost comparison. $35 was WAY too high a price to be my copay amount.). When I got a bill the next month, I was very confused. I had no idea it was a rental. I ended up paying $70 renting it when I could have bought a comparable one for $50.

If I were you, I'd go to a medical supply store & check out handle styles. Find what kind feels best & leave. Don't buy one there. Their prices are usually highway robbery. Go to your local drug store or online to buy. I know CVS has them & so does Rite Aid. I got an adjustable height cane on Amazon for $15 w/ free shipping.

A word of warning: if you have hand & wrist pain, a cane won't do you much good. I rarely use mine because it hurts my wrists very bad. I use carpal tunnel braces with my cane.

Happy shopping.
-Jenn. SAHM with 4 kids. Diagnosed with AS('08) Psoriasis, probable Sjogrens(won't do lip biopsy), Fibromyalgia, Chiari Malformation, PCOS, endometriosis, diabetes(type 1), metabolic syndrome, mild hypothyroidism...
Remicade & MTX.

*I am in no way associated with the medical profession other than doing my best to keep them in business. Any advice I give is purely my own opinion and should not be substituted for qualified professional care.

#240757 - 09/20/12 02:42 AM Re: To Buy or Rent......... [Re: sunshine01]
cemc Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
I'd strongly suggest having a mobility assessment by a qualified person (physio) who can advise what would be useful for you as well as how to use any aid suggested. It may be that a cane wouldn't be the best and something like an elbow crutch more use, or you might need two (canes or crutches). Also, as Shirley says, it is incredibly important to be shown how to use one properly and make sure it is adjusted correctly, as otherwise you will do more harm than good.

I definitely wouldn't bother hiring one. They don't have to be expensive, and hire costs would be ridiculous. If you aren't sure about using one once you have been assessed (assuming thats what the physio recommends) you can always buy a cheap plain one first, then once you get used to it upgrade to a more stylish one.

As far as costs go, both mum and I have used canes and crutches and we have had quite a few between us. I currently have two pairs of top range crutches (Kowski, one purple, one black) because I use them all the time and they have an amazing soft anatomic grip that doesn't hurt my hands. I have also had incredibly cheap canes and cheaper crutches that did the job at the time, and still looked fine and ones with different types of hand grips. And I've had quite funky canes as well (purple polka dots, tartan, and flowery) that weren't expensive. You don't have to pay a lot to get a nice walking aid, and if you see it as a fashion accessory, its easy to justify the extra money to get a nice one anyway. You can also "bling" up a plain cane by doing things like gluing on diamantes.

But, you have to have what is going to work best for you, so physio first for some good advice and assessment before you even consider buying one.

Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares

#240765 - 09/20/12 06:40 AM Re: To Buy or Rent......... [Re: sunshine01]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
Canes are cheap. I haven't used mine in over a year but take it with me sometimes on vacation when I over do. Now that I think about it, I don;t think I have used it in a couple years but I know it is there if I need it.

Anna

#240767 - 09/20/12 07:14 AM Re: To Buy or Rent......... [Re: sunshine01]
sunshine01 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: California
Thanks guys.
I saw the doctor yesterday and that is when it was suggested that I get one. Ever since I broke my ankle my walking has been "off". My hips are lopsided now and when I walk I feel off balance. Because of this my lower back and hips have been aggravated badly causing the walking to be even more difficult. Last night I had to lean against the wall with my hand as I walked down my hall to go to bed. I try to move as much as possible and I am getting used to my new limitations.

Thanks for the advise. I will check out the Physio first!

AS-Humira and dicolfinac, Fibro-same as the migraine cocktail, migraines-diclofinac, Cymbalta and Promethazine.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."-Eleanor Roosevelt

#240816 - 09/20/12 03:25 PM Re: To Buy or Rent......... [Re: sunshine01]
cemc Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
If your lower back and hips are that bad, then you might have to consider elbow crutches - they make walking a whole load easier, and don't throw your back out like a cane used on one side of your body can. Glad you are going for the physio advice though.
Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares

#240832 - 09/20/12 06:48 PM Re: To Buy or Rent......... [Re: sunshine01]
Zeus Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: NW Ohio
When I need one it will be one with a sword in it.

Weekly Humira, Meloxicam, MTX, Folic Acid plus a few other non AS related meds. I have hip, knee, shoulder, feet, hand, sternum, and rib pain daily.

If you are into computers and need a way to store and share files between devices try Dropbox.

#240926 - 09/23/12 06:39 AM Re: To Buy or Rent......... [Re: sunshine01]
Chelsaroo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Central Texas
My PT recommended a walker with a seat, but he said my doc has to write the scrip for it. There is such a social stigma attached to that, but I'm to the point where I am missing out on so many fun family things, it'll be worth it to me.

#240940 - 09/23/12 12:51 PM Re: To Buy or Rent......... [Re: sunshine01]
avonldy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: N. Sacramento Valley
I have two canes. I keep one in the car at all times and one at home. I never know in advance when I might need to use it. There have been times when I have gone shopping and needed to use the cane in the car. I don't want to be stuck without it. I like the adjustable cane I bought at Walmart, it's nice and sturdy and not at all expensive.

w
Suffering since a teenager.Dx with AS Dec 2009. Dx with ulcerative colitis 1998, both knees replaced 2006. GP said I had "some kind of inflammatory arthritis" 25 years ago. It has taken 50 years to get a Dx.

Mobic, Nexium, Naproxin, Lipitor, 6-MP, Nexium, Miacalcam, MSContin and 2 Norco for break through pain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved