Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#240921 - 09/23/12 02:27 AM PsA and heart palpitations?
claireUK Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: England
I have psoriasis related enthesiopathy and spondyloarthropathy (PsA).Does anyone else suffer with regular heart palpitations, and is it some thing I should be concerned about?

For the last six months or so I've been aware of a fast heart rate, and heart palpitations.In the last few months these seem to be getting a bit more frequent.At rest my pulse is about 80, but at times it goes up to about 120-130.I seem to feel the palpitations more when I'm lying down and my heart literally feels like it's going to beat it's self out of my body.I had an ECG back in April and just showed sinus tachycardia.

I've been off the mtx for about 2 and half months now.The pains been pretty bad.Especially my hips and chest.Unbearable at times.I've had two IM methypred injections during this time which have helped a little with the pain.

I guess some of the heart palpitations could be due to the pain, feeling really fed up with it all and the steroids, but not sure if all of it can be put down to this?

#240922 - 09/23/12 04:25 AM Re: PsA and heart palpitations? [Re: claireUK]
Jennyfoo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Folsom, CA
It's definitely something to be concerned about. Here's a good article on heart palpitations http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-palpitations/DS01139

Quote:
Common causes of heart palpitations include:

Strong emotional responses, such as stress or anxiety
Strenuous exercise
Caffeine
Nicotine
Fever
Hormone changes associated with menstruation, pregnancy or menopause
Taking cold and cough medications that contain pseudoephedrine, a stimulant
Taking some asthma inhaler medications that contain stimulants

I've had heart palpitations infrequently. My dr sent me to a cardiologist after an abnormal EKG & he did a full work up: stress test, ultrasound, nuclear imaging, etc. the only thing that was fund is that I have a slightly enlarged aorta, likely due to AS(I'm only 35). They couldn't find any reason for the palpitations.

It sounds to me like you may need a full cardio work up like I had. Also, if you're in such pain, why aren't you on an anti-TNF? Why were you taken off MTX? Just wondering?
-Jenn. SAHM with 4 kids. Diagnosed with AS('08) Psoriasis, probable Sjogrens(won't do lip biopsy), Fibromyalgia, Chiari Malformation, PCOS, endometriosis, diabetes(type 1), metabolic syndrome, mild hypothyroidism...
Remicade & MTX.

*I am in no way associated with the medical profession other than doing my best to keep them in business. Any advice I give is purely my own opinion and should not be substituted for qualified professional care.

#240931 - 09/23/12 07:49 AM Re: PsA and heart palpitations? [Re: claireUK]
cemc Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: UK
Yes, any or all of the things you suggest could cause it.

If the tachycardia wasn't normal for you until recently, then I think it is worth pushing for more answers. If they aren't seeing anything significant on a routine ECG, then you could try pushing for either an exercise ECG or a two day ambulant heart monitor, or a heart echocardiogram - all of which could give a bit more information.

You might have to insist that it is causing you problems to have your heart keep on racing before you get it taken seriously, and definitely don't allow your GP to just prescribe something for it unless there is more information.
Cauda equina type neurogenic bladder problems. Coeliac disease. Sicca syndrome. Ataxic gait and use crutches. Non-specific gut problems. Current treatment: Low dose naltrexone, low starch diet (Guts shredded by NSAIDs. Previously diclofenac worked well, not eligible for anti-tnfs, hypersensitivity to SSZ). Also short bursts of pred for bad flares

#240934 - 09/23/12 08:00 AM Re: PsA and heart palpitations? [Re: claireUK]
AMS Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: SoCal
Did you have palpitations during the ecg? If not, it wouldn't show anything. You'd need a holter monitor, which is a 24 hour ecg. If you don't have rhythm info while you have sxs, is impossible to tell what's going on. Do you have palpitations every day? Is the tachy constant, or in episodes? From what I can tell here and in journals, it sounds like it's not terribly uncommon to have palpitations with inflammation, either from meds or an arrhythmia.
Currently taking: remicade, flexeril or nucynta ER occasionally

#240976 - 09/24/12 03:36 AM Re: PsA and heart palpitations? [Re: Jennyfoo]
claireUK Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: England
Thank you all. Have made an appointment with the GP to see what he thinks. Unfortunately my appointment is not for a couple of weeks, but if it gets any worse will ask for an emergency appointment.

Originally Posted By: Jennyfoo
... if you're in such pain, why aren't you on an anti-TNF? Why were you taken off MTX? Just wondering?

I came off the MTX for two reasons, the main one was because I was having very nasty side effects at the higher doses. They wanted to then put me onto Leflunomide (either on it's own or with low dose MTX). I won't get funding for anti TNFs until I've tried at least two DMARD's. However, it was my choice that I wanted to hold off any more DMARD's for now and see if I can manage with the pain enough to think about having a baby before going back on any treatment.It's kind of now or never (once I've been off the mtx for at least 3 months).At the moment I haven't made any definite decision about either continuing treatment or having a family, but the pain is not good.Is the hardest decision to make! Is driving me mad trying to decide what to do for the best. So I guess that's why I'm also a bit concerned about getting the heart palpitations looked into before I make a definite decision.

#240991 - 09/24/12 08:42 AM Re: PsA and heart palpitations? [Re: claireUK]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Something that wasn't on the list Jenn provided but can commonly cause racing heartbeat: hypothyroidism. Definitely ask the GP about that. This was one of my main symptoms that led to the Hashimoto's diagnosis, a very common one among spondies and others with autoimmune disorders.

There was another thread on this topic in the past couple weeks or so - scroll down through this forum and you should be able to find it. Good luck - hopefully it will just go away on its own!!
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved