Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#241311 - 09/30/12 08:25 PM PT in NYC with knowledge of AS?
jimbd Offline
Registered Visitor

Hi all, does anyone know of a PT in NYC (either midtown or downtown) that has some knowledge of AS? It would be great to get some referrals of effective PT's who have an AS background - the PT's I have been to before were not familiar with this... Thanks!

#241323 - 10/01/12 09:41 AM Re: PT in NYC with knowledge of AS? [Re: jimbd]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
have you asked your rheumy and pain doc if you have one? both of those have provided good references to me. if you call around you may want to avoid limiting to spondylitis expertise since this is very unlikely - instead look for people with deep knowledge in the part that needs therapy (e.g. pelvis)
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#241380 - 10/02/12 04:34 PM Re: PT in NYC with knowledge of AS? [Re: jimbd]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
Is your dr in NYC and is he/she connected with a hospital? Both Hospital for Special Surgery and Hospital for Joint diseases have excellent PT departments. I use HSS but for hands and feet not whole body. They were great and I saw their whole department but can't recommend a specific person, sorry.

Anna

#241512 - 10/05/12 11:35 AM Re: PT in NYC with knowledge of AS? [Re: jimbd]
jimbd Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks to you both for your responses - I will try that. Was just hoping that someone in the area knew someone specific - but this is a good place to start. Jen, that is a good idea instead of asking for AS PT's, ask for something like pelvis or hips expertise and go from there. Thanks!

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan