Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#242013 - 10/12/12 10:26 PM New perspective on the course of my AS
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I splurged for 1 private yoga session. Its something I've done a couple of times before, particularly when I'm feeling physically stuck with my practice. My goal was specific: in depth analysis of range of motion and some poses to see what's causing blocks in my poses and ROM. to know if the problems was result of being fused/fixed and what to do to hold back fusing in a misaligned manner. My yoga instructor had such a different and refreshing attitude. She was giving me adjustments to make that WILL lead to increased opening, increased range of motion, increased poses. People come to yoga with real problems, diseases, injuries, issues. But for her, the solution is always the same, fine tune the alignment for your body and in perfect confidence know that the practice will work, gradually, eventually.

18 years ago I came to yoga kicking and screaming. I didn't like it. I couldn't do it. I'd rather do 100 different things. But what brings me onto the mat. Even on really, really bad days is the fact that no matter how bad I feel before my practice, I ALWAYS feel improved after practice. So, for the first time since my Dx 24 years ago, I actually think that I will be more flexible in the future than I am now. That's crazy talk for an AS person, right?
AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.

#242352 - 10/18/12 09:01 AM Re: New perspective on the course of my AS [Re: RAHMBA]
barrington Offline
Registered Visitor

Rahmba:
I am glad to hear that you are feeling so optimistic! It was a great idea to have a private yoga session. I have never thought of doing that. Have you ever tried physical therapy? The therapist might be able to show you some stretches (like spinal twists) that are like yoga and will be specifically beneficial for you. Also, insurance might cover it!
Jenny

#242391 - 10/18/12 04:09 PM Re: New perspective on the course of my AS [Re: RAHMBA]
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks Jenny. great idea re saving $$$. It was a birthday present to myself. I love my yoga practice - going on 17 years. Anusara yoga has the best alignment principles and their certified instructors are amazing. Also, thanks for replying to the post. the post was getting lonely and a little self-conscious :-)
Rich
AS, U C, Iritis, migraines. HLA-B27neg. Yoga (instructor) & spin. No meds at this time. Dx 1989. SAA member/donor since 1993. All my posts are personal opinion/feelings and do not represent the SAA. Help find a cure & support others by donating to the SAA.

#242703 - 10/23/12 04:40 PM Re: New perspective on the course of my AS [Re: RAHMBA]
barrington Offline
Registered Visitor

Rich:
Have you heard of "body rolling"? I am going to a workshop on it on Saturday. see http://yamunabodyrolling.com/about/body_rolling/
Will post if it seems good for ASers.
Jenny

#242784 - 10/25/12 08:46 AM Re: New perspective on the course of my AS [Re: RAHMBA]
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor

Hi Jenny,

How did the workshop go???? Please let me know.

Yes, I've only heard great things from people that do body rolling and from PT and yoga instructors that incorporate it. There are the long round rolls, inflated balls and small yoga balls.

Personally, I have a hard time with it. it falls in the same category as a massage. The touching/pushing in hurts too much for me to gain benefit. I'm better off practicing asanas or supported restorative poses with stationary props such as blankets, blocks, bolsters. But I would love to hear your experience and to see if there was a roll in particular or a posture that was particularly helpful.

Thanks, Rich

#263446 - 01/16/14 07:20 AM Re: New perspective on the course of my AS [Re: RAHMBA]
strengthcoach27 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Philadelphia
As much as the rolling hurts it can be extremely beneficial to do just a minute or two on each area but only on the soft tissue. You should never ever roll over bony landmarks. After about 60 seconds on my hamstrings 60 seconds on my quads and 60 seconds across my thoracic spine and a lot of cursing and swearing. I always feel just a little bit better. With my clients i tell people that if they can't keep from making the pain face that they shouldn't do it.

#263919 - 01/28/14 04:04 PM Re: New perspective on the course of my AS [Re: RAHMBA]
RAHMBA Offline
Registered Visitor

Knowing that I will feel a little bit better is a good reason to do it :-) Thank you for sharing your experience.

#268674 - 10/02/14 11:58 AM Re: New perspective on the course of my AS [Re: RAHMBA]
everydaybattle Offline
Registered Visitor

I keep hearing so much about how beneficial yoga can be, but the new-agey stigma attached to it has always turned me off.

As my AS has gotten worse, though, I don't think I can use that as an excuse. Even my terror at the thought of occupying a room full of yoga experts while I struggle to get my arms over my head is no excuse.

It hadn't occurred to me that I could just get a private lesson set up! Thanks for the idea.

#268930 - 10/14/14 11:36 AM Re: New perspective on the course of my AS [Re: RAHMBA]
Ericsmom Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Ventura County, CA
Hi everydaybattle- I just replied to you on another thread but saw your comment about yoga here and had to comment. I had to laugh when I read it because the new-agey thing is what prevented my son from trying it also. I kept bugging him to sign up for a class but he refused. However, when he went off to college, his soccer team did a yoga session twice a week and after the 1st week, he called me saying it was the best thing that he had ever done and why hadn't I ever gotten him into a class when he was younger??? Lol- he continues to enjoy it and says it makes him feel great. He did caution that he sometimes has to modify a movement so that it doesn't hurt, but the instructor is aware of his AS and works with him to modify the routine.

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan