Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#244079 - 11/18/12 10:55 AM How do you feel after injecting Enbrel?
cheerfuldancer Offline
Registered Visitor

Hi there-

I was diagnosed about a month ago with AS and have just taken my fourth injection of Enbrel (Sureclick injector). I have had six days straight of feeling well, with hardly any pain and very little joint stiffness. As soon as I stood up after taking the injection I felt tired, weak, and like I needed to lie down, and I still feel this way an hour later. I've reserved Sundays to recover from the shot but am wondering, if you're on Enbrel too, if the shot has less effect on your energy level the longer you're on it? I'd like to think this won't knock me out for a day a week every week going forward.

Thanks everyone-

Cheerfuldancer

#244080 - 11/18/12 11:08 AM Re: How do you feel after injecting Enbrel? [Re: cheerfuldancer]
Roqufort Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Texas
When I started humira I felt that way for a day after the shot, but only for a few months, then my body got use to it i guess.

#244081 - 11/18/12 11:13 AM Re: How do you feel after injecting Enbrel? [Re: cheerfuldancer]
cheerfuldancer Offline
Registered Visitor

Carrie, thank you for your response. Did you find the pain of the injection also subsided with time? I am really starting to dread the injection, even though I ice beforehand and let the medication sit for a half hour before using it (recommended by the Enbrel nurse line).

#244083 - 11/18/12 11:28 AM Re: How do you feel after injecting Enbrel? [Re: cheerfuldancer]
Roqufort Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Texas
The injection hurt always, but i found that warming the injection spot with a damp hot cloth, helped more than iceing it. I also let the humira sit to warm up for 15-20 minutes before injection. I also tried thigh and stomach and for me, stomach was less painful.
As for the injection sting/burn, I just reminded myself that 30 seconds of pain, was worth the relief that the medicine gave me

#244086 - 11/18/12 11:41 AM Re: How do you feel after injecting Enbrel? [Re: cheerfuldancer]
cheerfuldancer Offline
Registered Visitor

Oh interesting, I had not thought of warming the injection site, appreciate the recommendation. I have always injected on my thigh but did think about trying the belly since the thigh does sting substantially, though I also try to remind myself the pain is a small price to pay for the relief I get from the medication.

#244087 - 11/18/12 12:10 PM Re: How do you feel after injecting Enbrel? [Re: cheerfuldancer]
Bella22 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Southeastern Massachusetts
The injection always stings for me too. Try a distraction such as watching TV while injecting. Also, and I know this sounds weird, but try sucking on a hard candy while doing the injection. Read this on another forum and think that it has something to do with distraction. In addition, make sure the alcohol has a chance to dry before injecting. I'll have to try the warm cloth method. I have felt weak, tired and general malais the day after MTX but never with Enbrel and I've just finished my 8th shot. Right now I only have the guts to inject my thigh. Come summer time, I'll have to switch to my stomach because I do get an unsightly, nasty site reaction - a red, half dollar sized, swollen lump that lasts for days. Hope you continue to get great results from Enbrel.
Dx: Spondyloarthropathy/Connective Tissue Disorder (2/12), AS (9/12) HLA B27 negative, sacroilitis on x-ray - Current Meds: Methotrexate (20 mg), Leucovorin (30 mg), Protonix, Relafen, Vicodin and Tramadol PRN, Enbrel (9/12)

#244098 - 11/18/12 04:23 PM Re: How do you feel after injecting Enbrel? [Re: cheerfuldancer]
seymour Offline
Registered Visitor

I'm lucky enough to have no side effects and no injection spot reaction from Enbrel (yet). It does seem to be working more and more for my stiffness. Keep us updated.

#244099 - 11/18/12 04:28 PM Re: How do you feel after injecting Enbrel? [Re: cheerfuldancer]
cheerfuldancer Offline
Registered Visitor

I hadn't thought of distracting myself when injecting, thank you for that suggestion Bella22. And Seymour, wow--I can't imagine what it would be like to have no side effects from Enbrel, I am looking forward to the day when it doesn't knock me off my feet the way it is doing today. A little rash I can deal with, I suppose, the fatigue I just cannot get over until the next day.

The first and second shots I had didn't affect me like this but I hear this is a medication that must build up in the body, perhaps that's why the reaction is gettting stronger.

#244111 - 11/19/12 05:04 AM Re: How do you feel after injecting Enbrel? [Re: cheerfuldancer]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
I did 3 shots of Enbrel (discontinued due to site reactions), and 4 months each of Humira (every other week) & Simponi (monthly.) The only issues I had other than the site reactions were the discomfort of injection (duh) and with Humira, sometimes a headache later that day & the next day - easily managed with 24 hours of Tylenol.

It sounds to me like you could be having a vaso-vagal reaction to the injection - a psychological/emotional sort of thing - rather than to the drug itself. Some people just have this sort of stress in response to medical procedures or even injections. It can happen even in people who may not even feel they are anxious! My son is this way - in the past his anxiety has even resulted in fainting, convulsion, and vomiting! I normally do not have issues with injections, procedures, etc. but when I have to have an IV placed in my hand I do. It's just an "ick factor" - not due to the pain or seeing a needle or blood. It's odd!

You are fortunate the Enbrel is helping so much! But sorry you have this unpleasant by-product to manage.
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#244123 - 11/19/12 08:53 AM Re: How do you feel after injecting Enbrel? [Re: cheerfuldancer]
aslee9 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: michigan
If you think you can do it, go to the self injectables instead of the sure click automatic injectable. I used Enbrel for 5 years and am now on Humira. I started injecting in my upper thigh and thought OMG this hurts!!! But when I inject in my tummy I can feel such a difference! I stand in the bathroom and look into the mirror as I'm injecting. I go at a slow pace and don't feel much at all.

I was injecting Enbrel twice a week so am glad Humira only needs twice a month.

I hope you get the great benefit from these tnf medications that I have. I still have pain, but for the most part it is controllable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved