Next Thread
Print Thread
#248610 - 02/16/13 07:19 PM New Member  
kdock Offline
Registered Visitor
kdock  Offline
Registered Visitor

Michigan
Recently dx with AS. Currently training for a half marathon and a full in the fall. Any tips on how to run pain free? Is it possible to run a full with AS and be pain free?

#248681 - 02/18/13 10:51 PM Re: New Member [Re: kdock]  
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor
JenInCincy  Offline
Registered Visitor

Cincinnati, OH
There are definitely marathoners among us - check out the other threads in this section!!

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
#248774 - 02/20/13 02:05 AM Re: New Member [Re: kdock]  
medpgh Offline
Registered Visitor
medpgh  Offline
Registered Visitor

Hi kdock,

I've made a gradual comeback to running post-diagnosis. I was 5k/10k before I had to stop for a number of years from SI pain, but I'm trying to step up to the half distance now. The hardest part for me has been distinguishing between running-related pain and AS pain...and knowing when to stop. Prepare for some frustration, but my experience has been that it's doable if your inflammation is well-controlled, you catch pains early as they crop up, and replace some miles with cross-training. I love to talk to other runners, so feel free to PM me smile

@SeeSpondyRun
#256342 - 08/12/13 10:12 PM Re: New Member [Re: kdock]  
hacka Offline
Registered Visitor
hacka  Offline
Registered Visitor

Utah
Also recently diagnosed with AS. I used to run frequenty but stopped because my SI joints hurt so badly when I ran. I thought I was just being a pansy. Feels good to know there's a reason I was hurting. Anyway, I stopped running for a while but want to get back into it. The problem is, running has become so incredibly hard. Even when I don't have specific pain, it just feels like it takes so much effort and by the end of a slow 30 minute jog, it's all I can do to move one leg in front of the other. I'd like to think it's not because I'm that out of shape (I've always exercised 4-5 times a week). Has anyone else experienced just general heaviness and lethargy when running and how do you combat that?

37 year old relatively healthy female, dx with AS in Aug. 2013, but have had symptoms since 2008. HLA B27+, iritis, TMJ. No current treatment other than IBU. Looking for suggestions.
#256376 - 08/13/13 03:17 PM Re: New Member [Re: kdock]  
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor
JenInCincy  Offline
Registered Visitor

Cincinnati, OH
I'm a lapsed runner too - stopped about 5 years ago, but it was due to life changes and not health issues ... I took a shot at getting back to it last year. While it didn't turn into a sustained habit, here's what I did that worked well - simple, really - I just ran/walked. I run on a paved bike trail that is marked every half mile so I would alternate running & walking the segments. It helped me not feel so worn out and even more important, pretty much eliminated the achy muscles the next 2 days! Like you, taking walking breaks made me feel kind of sissy - I NEVER did that before! In my younger years I could pretty much always go out & run 6 miles in an hour even when I hadn't run for a while - but I decided to put success and progress ahead of my ego this time smile I think I will give it another shot this year - I have found myself really missing it - or maybe it's just all the running shoes in awesome new colors they have now smile

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
#264990 - 03/15/14 05:12 PM Re: New Member [Re: kdock]  
superfly47 Offline
Registered Visitor
superfly47  Offline
Registered Visitor

I'm a new member too!

#267550 - 07/06/14 08:27 PM Re: New Member [Re: kdock]  
Hill Offline
Registered Visitor
Hill  Offline
Registered Visitor

kdock - it really depends. Unfortunately everyone's journey will be different. I'm about 3.5 years post dx and haven't slowed down at all. Find if I keep running every day I don't even need the NSAIDs anymore and haven't taken anything in many months - not sure I've even had a regular routine taking them at all this year but I've kept steady running. It seems like when I stop for a few days is when I start getting the SI pains/inflammation - the pounding the pavement almost seems to stomp out the inflammation. Finished off my first 100 miler run (sub24 hr got me a buckle :)). Also had a decently fast Boston Marathon in April despite fitness not being too great. Hopefully this AS crap just stays quiet.

Last edited by Hill; 07/06/14 08:28 PM.
#268110 - 08/22/14 07:25 PM Re: New Member [Re: kdock]  
LerpwllWelsh Offline
First time visitor
LerpwllWelsh  Offline
First time visitor

Texas
I'm a new member, 72 years old male, diagnosed this spring, but have probably had AS since I was a teenager. AS was diagnosed when I went for a urological X-Ray and the radiologist put a post-it note on his report saying "Patient should see a Rheumatologist urgently: bone spurs and partial fusion of spine."

By age 45 I could not move in the mornings, and could not get out of the car after driving to work, due to excruciating pain and stiffness. Also had a permanent slouch. Went to orthopedist, had X-Rays, diagnosis "incipient arthritis in hip joint".

At 62 took up bicycle touring (6,300 mile ride that summer) and found that my back issues were gone. Then took up marathon walk-running and had no problems until I got A. Fib. Also took up Triathlons at that time: I usually come in right at the end, but that's OK.

Got the a. fib. fixed, and also thought I had completely got rid of my lower back problems, but at age 71 they came back with a vengeance. My skyphosis seems to be much worse, too.

My diagnosis was given in May just 2 weeks before I left for a 2,500 mile fully-loaded bicycle tour across Europe, and the doc encouraged me to go. He prescribed P-T, but that didn't help in the 2-weeks I had available. The riding did, but the pain in the right S-I joint (partially fused) came back 2 days after I stopped. It's now 3 weeks since I finished the ride, I've done a little running and a little swimming, and I'm in great pain in the S-I joint and the analogous spot in my ride shoulder is intense, although running (but not walking) and rapid swimming help. I'll take Ibuprofen until it goes away and then get back to my marathon training.

I was also diagnosed with MGUS (precursor to multiple myeloma) this spring: I've been anemic for the last 30 years and have elevated kappa light chains: I think, personally, that this is due to AS. I went to an oncologist who only had a hammer, so of course he tried to prove that my problems were due to a nail.

Summary: (a) doctors don't recognize AS when it's staring them in the face: it's now 35 years since I first went to an orthopedic because of pain in the SI joint. (b) Exercise is good, but sometimes fails to help during a flare-up. (c) Running does no harm (at least for me) and can make you feel better if you can survive the pain of the first half-hour. (d) you can still run marathons and cycle (the best exercise for me) across continents when you have bone spurs, compressed discs, partially fused joints and are hunched over like an old man.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan