Spondylitis Association of America
Topic Options
#256776 - 08/19/13 03:59 PM Ligamentum flavum hypertrophy
Roxygirl Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: NJ
A lumbar MRI shows facet arthropathy with ligamentum flavum hypertrophy Li thru S1

My cervical spine shows marked multi level spondylosis contributing to central stenosis and multi level foraminal compromise

Is this consistent with ankylosing spondilotis?

#256783 - 08/19/13 05:12 PM Re: Ligamentum flavum hypertrophy [Re: Roxygirl]
Poppa_John Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Arkansas, USA
I am not a medical doctor but I spent 35 years working in X-ray and my unrespected opinion is yes, that is consistent with AS. I started my trek in 2009 with severe shoulder pain leading to an MRI of my cervical spine. I had essentially the same findings on MRI which lead to anterior cervical diskectomy and fusion of C5-6 in 2010 and C6-7 in 2012. Then diagnosed with AS in 2013. Point is that it definitely could be AS or another for of arthritis.

#256790 - 08/19/13 07:42 PM Re: Ligamentum flavum hypertrophy [Re: Roxygirl]
Lenka Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Minneapolis
i had it all over my lumbar spine and was told it's from AS

#256796 - 08/19/13 10:53 PM Re: Ligamentum flavum hypertrophy [Re: Roxygirl]
NotMeToo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: Roxygirl
Is this consistent with ankylosing spondilotis?

Not specifically. People with Ankylosing Spondylitis can experience facet arthropathy, ligamentum flavum hypertrophy, and spondylosis. However these issues are not exclusive to AS patients and are not considered in the diagnosis of AS. Have you been tested for HLA-b27? Have you had x-rays or MRIs of your Sacroiliac Joints or have you been diagnosed with Sacroiliitis?

Facet Arthropathy: degenerative changes to the facet joints and the disintegration of cartilage on those joints

Ligamentum Flavum Hypertrophy: degenerative condition of the spine where the tendons holding one vertebra to another thicken, decreasing the amount of room available for the spinal cord and the nerves. It may be associated with inflammation, degeneration, or osteoporosis.

Spondylosis: a general term for age-related wear and tear affecting the spinal disks

Edited by NotMeToo (08/20/13 04:47 AM)

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved