Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#257193 - 08/28/13 12:00 PM spermatotoxic medications
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Very interesting and thorough review article. Since the topic of meds & fertility/conception seems to come up with regularity, I thought it might be of interest.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/807177_1
Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates

#257805 - 09/09/13 07:50 AM Re: spermatotoxic medications [Re: JenInCincy]
BigStu Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Some of the meds I have to take due to prostate and bladder problems have created a good many other problems in this area...NO sperm at all..next to impossible to maintain errection
is it worth it? Is it better to not piss yourself or have a sex life?

#260087 - 10/30/13 10:54 AM Re: spermatotoxic medications [Re: JenInCincy]
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Gentlemen, researching anti-TNFs and breastfeeding I came across a reference to a study I hadn't previously known of:

Villiger PM, Caliezi G, Cottin V, et al. Effects of TNF antagonists on sperm characteristics in patients with spondyloarthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2010; 69:18421844.

This article found that anti-TNF treatment does not impair sperm quality in patients with spondyloarthritis. To the contrary, patients on anti-TNF therapy showed significantly better sperm motility and vitality than untreated patients.

#269014 - 10/23/14 10:22 AM Re: spermatotoxic medications [Re: JenInCincy]
BigStu Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Not talking about TNFs...the meds for beneign prostate enlargement and bladder control are the ones that kill your sex life. Anyone else in this boat?

#270860 - 03/31/15 12:43 AM Re: spermatotoxic medications [Re: JenInCincy]
MIKWONDO Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Mississippi
Speaking from memory that is faded at times; Sulfasalazine effects sperm count when taken for extended periods of time. I took Sulfasalazine for several years and I had some problems. Sulfasalazine EC being a DMARD did help with my inflammation though. I guess that it all boils down to quality of life and what we are satisfied with concerning our own treatments.
Best, Mike