Spondylitis Association of America
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25923 - 01/04/06 08:14 PM Crunching
Fall of Moonbeams Offline

Loc: NH
Okay......wish I could talk abs here, but that isn't what's crunching. laugh

Anyone experienced crunching sounds in the neck and/or back at times? Popping and cracking I would expect is normal. Lately my neck crunches loudly!

The cervical MRI I had was "normal".

That also means the neuropathy I have is not explained/is not coming from my neck. That's a rant I have to leave for now.

Thanks for sharing,
Elaine

#25924 - 01/04/06 08:29 PM Re: Crunching
MEGABY Offline

Loc: Illinois
I have crunching in my neck that I just noticed today. So it's kinda odd now that you posted about it. I havn't had any films of my neck yet, maybe tomarrow as I have rheumy appt. I'll let you know what she says. I do have changes on xray in my upper back though and every once in a great while I can hear popping like sounds when I move. I too was wondering about the neck, maybe we hear it better is cause it's so close to our ear.

Bye for now, Meg

#25925 - 01/04/06 08:48 PM Re: Crunching
IrishElf Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Upper Midwest
Elaine,
Was the normal from the radiologist or your Rhumy looking at the films? It can make a difference.

But remember, x-rays, MRI, CT and Meylogram did not show the damage I had in my C-spine from C4-C7. The doctor was amazed at all the damage he found during surgery that did not show up on any films, and said so.
Just because nothing shows doesn't mean there is nothing there. They can't always SEE a pinched nerve!

As you slide down the bannister of life...May the splinters never point the wrong way.

#25926 - 01/05/06 06:42 AM Re: Crunching
Fall of Moonbeams Offline

Loc: NH
Hi Meg and Elf,

The interpretation of the MRI to my family doc was from the radiologist. I'm thinking about calling my rhemy and asking if he wants to see the films. Crunching doesn't sound right. I guess that's what concerns me. I know what pops and cracks feel like (something being released). In this case, it's more like taking rice krispies and crunching them all into little pieces.

Elaine

#25927 - 01/05/06 06:58 AM Re: Crunching
Andie Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Northern Virginia
I get this grinding "sand" sound and sensation in my neck. I dont think its audible to the outside world though. I have never been officialy diagnosed with neck invlovment but there is something going on.

#25928 - 01/05/06 07:08 AM Re: Crunching
mont974x4 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Montana
HAd it so long in my neck, shoulders, and other joints I've come to think of it as normal. lol at least normal for me.

NOTE: If you aint here to help row the boat then you are welcome to walk the plank.

#25929 - 01/05/06 09:27 AM Re: Crunching
MindyInAR Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: AR
I have some crunching too... right along with popping loudly too. My major degeneration is in my C4-5, 5-6 & 6-7 so sounds very familiar. After the really loud ones there's a short sense of relief....... I had just went for my results visit with my new rheumy in the last week or so and it's nice to finally have a real knowledge of what's going on with me and whats really wrong. There is defininte spondy in my neck he said..... hips right is slightly degenerated, left slightly more degeneration with some sclerosis. I feel your pain... literally LOL I always figured the crunching was just small popping.. I dunno if anyone knows I'd like to know as well.

#25930 - 01/05/06 10:39 AM Re: Crunching
Creek Offline

Loc: MN
Ditto on the popping cracking and crunching from neck and knees. Neck is loudest I agree as it is closest to yer melon.
Every morning while in the car driving I turn my heed as far as I can and it crunches and grinds. I pop it first off when I get out of bed by sitting up and trying to look at the floor. Dunno if it's bad or good, but I have gained a small bit of mobility in the year or so since I have been doing it.
Had my 6 month dr visit today told him I can't stand this numbness in my legs anymore so they want to do a biopsy to eliminate some other cause of it besides AS. So if they can't find another cause then...? The Drs. here don't believe it has anything to do with AS, but from hearing what others have to say here, I think it is more than likely a symptom.
Off I go back to the mines!

Cheers
Creek

#25931 - 01/05/06 07:33 PM Re: Crunching
TiredShrimp Offline

Loc: southern plains
Hi Elaine

; Maybe you growing another spur and it is too small to show up on regular x-rays yet or it is in a 'hidden' area. I do know that most on here have written about their crunching, grinding noises. Let's hope & pray your Rheumatologist can figure it out. Otherwise, I certainly hope all else in your life is good. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Take care, Della

#25932 - 01/05/06 07:47 PM Re: Crunching
Mary Beth Offline
Registered Visitor

Crunching, popping, crackling. Yep, I get it all.
43, diagnosed with AS in early 2005 and on TNF-blockers since then: They have been miracle drugs for me. On Enbrel from spring 2005 to Nov 2008. On Humira from Nov 2008 to present. Baclofen and OTC anti-inflammatories as needed.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chris Miller, ElinAslanyan 

Bookmark and Share RSS Feed

About Us |  Join SAA |  Educational Materials |  Contact Us |  Privacy Statement |  Guidestar
Good Operating Practices |  SAA Store Policies
� 2012 Spondylitis Association of America, All Rights Reserved