Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#265061 - 03/18/14 04:07 PM Going to school with AS....
ElizWithAS Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Portland, OR
Okay, so I'm currently getting my Master's degree and all this back pain started at the same time that I started school. My classes are 1-2 times a week, 4 hours each. We probably get at least 1 break in each class, sometimes 2 breaks that are only 15-20 minutes long. It is very difficult for me to sit that long, with or without AS, but I find it more difficult because of the pain. My school does have lumbar support chairs, but you have to go through a lot of channels to get access to one.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me? I have tried using a pillow, taking aspirin before class starts, walking around, but it doesn't seem to do the trick. Help me!!
Pain in SI joints/low back, left hip, and left knee.

#265086 - 03/19/14 01:51 PM Re: Going to school with AS.... [Re: ElizWithAS]
becca Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Ohio
welcome!

i really don't have any advice/suggestions. have you tried a cushion? i know they make support ones and some with gel in them. just a thought. i am in school too, but my classes are only an hour and 15 minutes long, i find it hard to sit through them because of the pain too. I can't imagine a 4 hour class!

#265087 - 03/19/14 02:32 PM Re: Going to school with AS.... [Re: ElizWithAS]
SouthernMoss Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
Could you ask your professors if they would allow you to stand up for 5-10 minutes once an hour? Maybe have a desk at the back of the room so it wouldn't be too distracting. You could still listen to the lecture and take notes while standing. You could bring a note from your doctor explaining your condition and how the standing up would be helpful.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#265099 - 03/19/14 07:46 PM Re: Going to school with AS.... [Re: ElizWithAS]
iviary Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: North Texas
I always talked to my professors at the beginning of the semester to notify them that I have health conditions that cause GI problems and joint pain, and that I would at times need to take frequent bathroom breaks, breaks to walk around, or might need to stand at the back of the class. Everyone was always understanding, because I approached them about it before it was an "issue" and before they had drawn their own conclusions about my frequent exits from the room. I was also considerate of doing my best to create the least classroom disturbance possible.

#265109 - 03/20/14 02:07 PM Re: Going to school with AS.... [Re: ElizWithAS]
ElizWithAS Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Portland, OR
For the most part, I have noticed that walking is far better than simply standing. I notice that just standing creates more pain than the walking does. I'll probably start exiting the classroom for a quick walk down the hallway to loosen up!
Pain in SI joints/low back, left hip, and left knee.

#265300 - 03/28/14 05:12 PM Re: Going to school with AS.... [Re: ElizWithAS]
Sean O Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Toronto
I am certainly not a 20 something, but I have some advice. Think about your limitations from AS when doing your career planning. I have a desk job that allows me to move around periodically which is key for AS.
Male, early 50s, Dx AS+ 1991, HLA B27+, Tylenol 3 PRN for flares. Off NSAIDs due to stomach issues. Considering a biologic. SI and thoracic involvement and costochondritis. Many bouts of uveitis. Small bowel issues, anemia.

#267397 - 06/24/14 09:17 PM Re: Going to school with AS.... [Re: ElizWithAS]
Rachel01 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New Hampshire
Every university has a student disability office. They can help you with a reasonable accommodation, whether it's to get a chair with lumbar support, allowing you to leave class every so often, or even to get a fellow classmate to take notes for you when you have to leave. I worked in my university's office and really so long as the student was proactive, the university would do whatever they could to accommodate them.

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan