Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#267391 - 06/24/14 08:47 PM Active Duty Marine
Rick4512 Offline
Registered Visitor

Hello, i am an active duty marine about to be diagnosed with AS, Im looking for someone who has currently dealt with AS and the military, I am physically recovered to the point where i am no longer impeded by the disease, other than having to take humira injections, which makes me non deployable, and unable to obtain flight status, can i expect to be medically separated or medically retired or nothing happen at all? I only have 2 and a half years of active service.

#267402 - 06/25/14 07:23 AM Re: Active Duty Marine [Re: Rick4512]
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Minnesota
Have you made contact Mike Parsons(mmparker)on this forum? He will be able to answer your questions with authority.

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44

#267539 - 07/05/14 09:05 PM Re: Active Duty Marine [Re: Rick4512]
mtnbkrpnk Offline
Registered Visitor

Rick,

I am an Active Duty Army Pilot, just diagnosed two months ago. I am not on Humira yet. I am trying alternative treatments and diet change first, then following up with my Rheumatologist in a couple months to decide where to go from here. I have come to terms with and am planning for the possibility of medical retirement as I won't be able to fly and I'll be non deployable if I start the medication.
I am awaiting a response from Mike for more detailed answers, but from what research I have done, my understanding is you need at least 8 years to receive a retirement or severance package. After that 8 years if you have less than 30% disability rating you receive a severance package and 30 or more a retirement.
I would ask Mike for better clarification, and continue to research on your own as well for more in depth answers. Good luck to you!

#267544 - 07/06/14 10:03 AM Re: Active Duty Marine [Re: Rick4512]
WhiteCell Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Whidbey Island WA
Not a soldier here but thinking out loud hopefully to help. If you can swing a change of duty to receive education or retraining while in the military that may be very helpful while in the service and when you retire, or, are discharged.

Working careers which come to mind are computer science, nursing, and or technical advisors. Most people think its better to have a position which you are not sitting all the time. As a nurse, I can say that there are many options in that field. If at all possible I would avoid separation and ask for appropriate retraining.

AS can be a challenge. Be ready. Glad that you are feeling good.

Severe Right Eye Glaucoma- Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006. DSAEK Cornea Transplant 2009. Ahmed Shunt 6/2016. DSAEK November 2016.

Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. 2004. Cured by RF ablation 2006. Cardizem 240 CD.

ICU RN

~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~

#267638 - 07/15/14 11:38 AM Re: Active Duty Marine [Re: Rick4512]
60Driver Offline
Registered Visitor

Originally Posted By: Rick4512
Hello, i am an active duty marine about to be diagnosed with AS, Im looking for someone who has currently dealt with AS and the military, I am physically recovered to the point where i am no longer impeded by the disease, other than having to take humira injections, which makes me non deployable, and unable to obtain flight status, can i expect to be medically separated or medically retired or nothing happen at all? I only have 2 and a half years of active service.

Greetings, I'm on active duty (Army) as well, and have been for nine years now. I'm also taking Humira. Through all my research, I've seen that everyone's case is different. I believe, through my personal experience, that you can exercise the most influence over your situation by communicating your intentions to your doctor. If you want to remain on Active duty, be sure to articulate that to your doctors. If your docs are like mine, they'll do what they can to help you do that. Also, look for opportunities to pursue a career within your branch of service that is compatible with deployment limiting conditions. For me, that meant hanging up my aviation career in favor of the exciting career of 'force management!'

One thing that is for sure in the Army, is that if you're diagnosed with AS and are on a TNFi like Humira the regulations state that you MUST undergo an MEB. The outcomes of the MEB vary drastically for folks with AS. There is some history to that statement both on this forum as well as pebforum which MMParker also used to frequent (not sure if he still does).

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Edited by 60Driver (07/15/14 11:41 AM)

#268162 - 08/26/14 12:00 AM Re: Active Duty Marine [Re: Rick4512]
kalmarie Offline
Registered Visitor

My understanding is that while you do remain undeployable because of humira you cannot be forced out until you are physically unable to perform or if being undeployable or not remaining in a flight status will impede you from doing your job. But do not quote me on that, my ability to continue to do my job has been based on my pain tolerance and an amazing command, but in the end I have chosen that a medical discharge is my best route. My job is incredibly hard on my body and although i love being a Marine, my daughter is my life and i need to be there for her. In my particular case it was my choice, but i am not on a biologic. There is not a time limit on whether you will be receiving a medical retirement or discharge it is solely based on how the PEB finds you based on your percentage rating. 30% or higher is a retirement regardless of service time, below 30% is separation with severance regardless of service time.
My advice to you is to first decide what it is that you want to fight for, cuz it is a fight...do you want to fight to stay in? are you willing to pursue a job that has a lower deployability rate? If that is what you want speak to your Drs. on what exactly your limitations are, figure out how these limitations affect your current job. Talk to your command see if your current job is the best fit for you, if not get with your career planner explain the situation see if there are other options for you to stay in.
The other side of that is, do you want to fight for a career that will keep you non-deployable? Keep you within the Corps but never to leave stateside, are you okay with that? If not start thinking, is there something in the Civilian side that you enjoy doing almost as much and that humira and AS will not interfere with too much?

Let me know if you have any specific questions or need any further guidance.

r/s
AD USMC Sergeant

#277178 - 01/30/17 08:55 PM Re: Active Duty Marine [Re: Rick4512]
Rick4512 Offline
Registered Visitor

Hello everyone, its a bit overdue but I got my results today, 10% through the military and 20% through the VA, medical separation. Currently awaiting a lawyer to give advice on whether to rebuttal or not, I just thought id share my results. I was diagnosed with the code 5240. If anyone has any input or questions feel free to ask, and I apologize for not updating this sooner.

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan