Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#269160 - 11/03/14 09:09 PM Reasonable accommodations for AS
ladybug Offline
Registered Visitor

Registered: 07/29/05
Posts: 3
Started a new job with a government and was stupid enough to tell them about my AS. I explained the challenges including 2h of morning stiffness and asked to be permitted flex hours (to allow for stiffness and PT) and/or working from home when things are really really bad (read: so much stiffness that I cannot dress or drive myself to work). Initially got a bad reaction and was told I should have disclosed sooner (?!). HR is no help, referred me to the boss. I was asked to sign a release for my medical records and to bring a letter from my doctor, but not what information they need. Already talked to JAN people who confirmed that I don't need to fork over my medical records. Has anyone had similar issues? What should the Dr say so they have enough information to satisfy them that there is an ADA disability and need for reasonable accommodation, but not so much info that they will get spooked (e.g.: when someone cannot turn in bed to turn off the alarm clock, the boss may infer they can't do the job). Thank you!

#269161 - 11/04/14 04:02 AM Re: Reasonable accommodations for AS [Re: ladybug]
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

Registered: 05/26/04
Posts: 1483
Loc: Minnesota
You do not have to sign any release for your medical records. The ADA requires Employers to make "reasonable" accommodations once they are informed. You have informed them. If you are working for the Federal Government is the US a simple letter from your Dr detailing the restrictions you may have is all they will need. If they feel that you can not do your job they then have to do a Fitness for Duty. They will try to get you to sign a release for your records. You do not have to sign it. They are required to send you to a Dr at their cost and during paid duty hours. E-Mail me if you need more. ken.delano@gmail.com

If you work for a state/county/city government the process will vary by state.
AS/PsA DX in 1988

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44