Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#272260 - 09/06/15 07:43 AM USAF Pilot with Questions...
NewPatient Offline
Registered Visitor

Good morning,

I have recently been diagnosed with AS, and I have a couple of questions as it relates to my occupation and service.

--Will I be removed from Flight Status? (I'm pretty certain I will).

--Will I be found "Unfit for Duty" and be forced to leave the military? (I am uncertain).

I am in a strange situation. I have 20 years of total Service...but I have only accrued 13.5 years of Active Duty thus far. (I left Active Duty, remained in the Air National Guard, and subsequently returned to Active Duty for an Air National Guard unit five years ago).

My fear is that I will be forced to retire without a Military Medical Disability. Is there anyone in this forum who can speak to this?

Believe me, I love to fly...but the thought of losing my ability to provide for my family with no Disability payment is my greatest worry at the moment.

I hope my concerns are off-base, and I thank everyone in advance for your assistance.

Regards,
New Patient

#272265 - 09/07/15 04:06 AM Re: USAF Pilot with Questions... [Re: NewPatient]
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Minnesota
Allot has changed in the 25 plus years since I was in your position. Mike Parker, US Army retired LTC, is the resident expert on this subject. His e-mail address is listed in his profile. Profile Link

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44

#272287 - 09/11/15 12:28 PM Re: USAF Pilot with Questions... [Re: NewPatient]
NewPatient Offline
Registered Visitor

Thank you, Ken.

I'll try to contact Mike.

With appreciation,
NewPatient

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan