Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#272983 - 01/04/16 09:48 AM Reservist/Title 10 initial flareup
Adam Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MD
Hey guys,

I am in the Army NG and was mobilizing in May 2013 for a deployment to Afghanistan. I was commanding a unit and was medically released from active duty (REFRAD) and had to watch my unit fly out without me. Without getting into too much detail, I was healthy, moving around just fine and than one day after intense training something popped in my neck. After that, I woke up my wrist swelled up and than a few days later I couldn't put pressure on my feet. Dx of Carpal Tunnel syndrome lol...I had no KNOWN knowledge of my spinal condition, and was later dx with RA/Undifferentiated sero-negative arthropathy (BY the ARMY on Title 10 orders). Fast forward 2 years later, I had MRI's done on my neck which the Army failed to check even though it was my chief complaint (other than the fact that I could not walk). 3 Bulging Disks and significant degeneration of my spine. I understand some is genetics, but with no known history of this condition, it appears the VA should receive my claim as injuries aggravated/exacerbated through Military service. Do you know how I should file this claim? I have all of my medical records. C-Spine injury, Wrist Injury, Aggravated AS, Feet. I have not been the same, and am getting worse.

Thanks.

#273014 - 01/07/16 10:15 AM Re: Reservist/Title 10 initial flareup [Re: Adam]
WhiteCell Offline
Registered Visitor

I am not in the military. My concern would be what treatment(s) you have so far received and what is being done for your condition. Your complaints, pain, swelling and assorted joint issues are consistent with me and many others here. I would call the VA and determine is they have some sort of advocate for your case to move it along. I have been applying to the VA system and whenever I call I get a recording asking me if my condition is severe. Sounds like your's is.

Severe Right Eye Glaucoma- Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006. DSAEK Cornea Transplant 2009. Ahmed Shunt 6/2016. DSAEK November 2016.

Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. 2004. Cured by RF ablation 2006. Cardizem 240 CD.

ICU and ER; R.N. San Diego ~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~

#275526 - 08/01/16 11:58 AM Re: Reservist/Title 10 initial flareup [Re: WhiteCell]
Adam Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MD
I have reached out to my VSO in Harford County, MD who works with Reservists/Guardsmen very well. I am filing for Sleep Apnea (unrelated), Radiculpathy of all peripherals, C-Spine direct injury, and R-Wrist. We shall see if I get service connected before I proceed with adding the AS.

#275531 - 08/01/16 03:21 PM Re: Reservist/Title 10 initial flareup [Re: Adam]
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Minnesota
Let us know how that turns out Adam.

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan