Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#273029 - 01/08/16 03:31 PM Active Duty Soldier
austinstewar Offline
First time visitor

Hello,

I'm active duty Army, I'm 21 and have been in 2 1/2 years and was recently diagnosed with AS and just started Humira after being out of work for 5 months.

My Rheumatologist is a civilian and hasn't been very helpful with telling me what is next to come or what I should be doing. From my understanding I am to see a MEB due to my inability to deploy and physical restrictions from the condition itself (AR 40-501). I am for this due to the change in my physical state and my desire to attend school before I can get worse.

Can anyone help enlighten me on what to do/expect?

Anything and everything is appreciated.

#273033 - 01/09/16 04:24 AM Re: Active Duty Soldier [Re: austinstewar]
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Minnesota
I went through the process 26 plus years ago. My info is a bit dated. I had over 10 years on Active Duty when I was separated because of AS. Back then there were no TNF's of course. As I understand the current process the VA will be involved in some way with the process. In theory your rating from the Army and the VA will be the same. In my case it wasn't even close. Army 20%, 90 days later the VA rated me at 40%. So instead of being retired I was given a medical discharge.

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan