Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#273030 - 01/08/16 09:37 PM Benefit to diagnosis
nymom23 Offline
Registered Visitor

Hi All,

I was wondering if there was a benefit of getting an actual diagnosis?

My daughter has multiple incidences of enthesitis in her knee, ankle, heel and middle of foot. She has been diagnosed with things like Os Good Schlatter, and Severs, growing pains and just sprains and strains.

Her older brother is suspected of having SA.

My daughter was seen by a geneticist who said she was HBLA-27 positive but that it wasn't his specialty and to go see an rhuematologist.

I was curious if there was a benefit to having an actual diagnosis? Can there be preventative measures to avoid damage to her joints? Or should we just wait and see how this plays out?

Curious what your thoughts were.

Thank you,

Kim

Edited by nymom23 (01/08/16 09:42 PM)

#273037 - 01/09/16 06:16 PM Re: Benefit to diagnosis [Re: nymom23]
WhiteCell Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Whidbey Island WA
Depending on your location it would be worth going to a university of leading edge hospital which has a high reputation in Spondy IMHO

Severe Right Eye Glaucoma- Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006. DSAEK Cornea Transplant 2009. Ahmed Shunt 6/2016. DSAEK November 2016.

Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. 2004. Cured by RF ablation 2006. Cardizem 240 CD.

ICU RN

~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~

#273038 - 01/09/16 08:25 PM Re: Benefit to diagnosis [Re: nymom23]
CBMom Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: NJ, USA
Yes - she should definitely see a pediatric rheumatologist. If she does have juvenile spondyloarthritis then she needs to be diagnosed and treated as soon as possible.

My daughter was diagnosed at 15 - after many years of knee "injuries." I wish we had seen a good pediatric rheumatologist sooner. She is also HLA B27+ and my husband has AS, so there was a family history.

#273120 - 01/21/16 09:14 PM Re: Benefit to diagnosis [Re: nymom23]
Ericsmom Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Ventura County, CA
The benefit of an official diagnosis is that a rheumatologist can monitor the progress of the disease as well as any joint damage. Id needed, she could be put on a drug regimen that is specific to AS and can help manage symptoms and possible prevent joint damage. Long term inflammation can cause permanent joint damage. A pediatric rheumatologist would be preferred, but since there are only something like 200 in the US, one may not be available to you. AS can cause different symptoms in juveniles vs. adults, so it's better to see a Dr. that recognizes that.

#273121 - 01/21/16 09:14 PM Re: Benefit to diagnosis [Re: nymom23]
Ericsmom Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Ventura County, CA
The benefit of an official diagnosis is that a rheumatologist can monitor the progress of the disease as well as any joint damage. If needed, she could be put on a drug regimen that is specific to AS and can help manage symptoms and possibly prevent joint damage. Long term inflammation can cause permanent joint damage. A pediatric rheumy would be preferred, but since there are only something like 200 in the US, one may not be available to you. AS can cause different symptoms in juveniles vs. adults, so it's better to see a Dr. that recognizes that.

Edited by Ericsmom (01/21/16 09:15 PM)

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan