Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#274757 - 05/27/16 05:19 AM Kayaking
sdot Offline
Registered Visitor

2 years ago I got back into kayaking, and I was hoping to pick up a kayak and spending more time enjoying the sport. After being diagnosed with AS I gave that dream up, but I was thinking that perhaps the biologic would keep things under control and I would be able to get back on the water this year.

Does anyone here kayak? Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to look into kayaks again, or would having AS just shut down that hobby for me?

#274768 - 05/27/16 08:20 PM Re: Kayaking [Re: sdot]
Shippingnews Offline
Registered Visitor

I do not know how to swim so never thought about trying kayaking. May be you can try Virtual Reality? I heard they have all kinds of things coming up in VR in a year or so. You can go around the places in VR, may be even kayaking, even if AS wont let you walk or fly.
On a serious note, I think you should take one step at a time. even after you get well and be fit for activities, kayaking might be too extreme, as it can be dangerous to even a normal persons joints, and it needs quick reflexes in your neck and arms. Every one has different expectations. But surely you will know what you can and cannot do, but my advice, is to go slow on yourself, once you are fit for activities.
Current medicines: Omeprazole, Vit D3, Celecoxib(1 tab)/Zorvolex(2 tabs)(alternatimg between these two every week), Pyridoxine, Isoniazid, MTX(3 tab) every wednesday, on humira every two weeks since Dec 2015, Weekly Humira since June 18th 2016

#274807 - 06/01/16 05:31 AM Re: Kayaking [Re: sdot]
sdot Offline
Registered Visitor

I don't think I would get into VR sports as the real things such as kayaking are pretty amazing to do in real life. I am not sure how much pain I would be in. I think the scariest part of some biologics and their success would be that you can really forget how terrible the disease is and almost be feeling good to a point you forget that you have something.

#274817 - 06/01/16 11:51 AM Re: Kayaking [Re: sdot]
SouthernMoss Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
I'm not an athlete, but I say rent a kayak, give it a go, and see what happens. Start slowly and after a few times you should begin to get an idea of what your body can handle.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#274845 - 06/03/16 05:21 AM Re: Kayaking [Re: sdot]
sdot Offline
Registered Visitor

I will try to rent a kayak. I was fine kayaking and canoeing pre-AS and it wasn't too bad, so I am pretty sure it will be ok for now.

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan