Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#275159 - 06/28/16 10:15 AM Supplements
EmA_LI_80 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Long Island
Hello All,

I'm wondering, has anyone tried supplements to ease some of the symptoms of AS, such as Glucosamine/Chondroitin, Omega-3s, Devils Claw, etc.? I know there is a post for Turmeric, but I have had gastro side effects from it. What else have you tried? Has it worked? Thanks in advance for your responses!

~Em
Other Dx: GERD, Raynauds, Bursitis in Left Shoulder and Right Knee

#275160 - 06/28/16 02:03 PM Re: Supplements [Re: EmA_LI_80]
Tacitus Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Reno/San Fernando LU PI
Hello, Em:

I have used borage seed oil (2g effective GLA; many capsules) to help take down flares and also fresh wheatgrass juice (6oz typically on empty stomach). Good to continually take EVOliveOil by teaspoonful throughout the day.

Follower of Dr. Wallach (Dead Doctors Don't Lie), so began supplementing aggressively same time I started strict diet, and believe that this has helped considerably, albeit not nearly as much as diet: AS is mostly about stuff we put into our bodies, so leaving this out is the most important measure.

HEALTH,
John
Professor Alan Ebringer Diet and AS

#275161 - 06/28/16 02:41 PM Re: Supplements [Re: EmA_LI_80]
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
I believe glucosamine/chondroitin is more for osteoarthritis. I have some OA and do take it, but I'm not sure how much it helps. I asked my rheumy about it and she said the research shows conflicting results, but her mother swears by it for her OA. wink

I was already taking fish oil for the heart benefits well before my spondy diagnosis, so I can't say how much it might be helping any spondy symptoms.

I also take a probiotic (Culturelle). It helps some with IBS-type symptoms.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#275162 - 06/28/16 07:15 PM Re: Supplements [Re: SouthernMoss]
Jessie10 Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks for the probiotic suggestion SouthenMoss, I too have IBS-type symptoms that have not yet been diagnosed as anything. I will have to try that as I can't keep up with eating yogurt consistently

#275190 - 06/30/16 03:05 PM Re: Supplements [Re: EmA_LI_80]
EmA_LI_80 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Long Island
Thank you all for your input - I am looking into the borage seed oil, and I am still a bit nervous about the Devil's claw but I am doing research on that as well. I am looking for the best type of probiotic as well. Any suggestions?
Other Dx: GERD, Raynauds, Bursitis in Left Shoulder and Right Knee

#275191 - 06/30/16 04:16 PM Re: Supplements [Re: EmA_LI_80]
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG has had more scientific studies than any other probiotic bacteria and was recommended to me as the best one to take. Culturelle has it and is what I take. There are probably other brands out there that have it too. And of course, other folks may recommend a different bacterium altogether.

Be sure to talk to your pharmacist before you start a supplement. Sometimes herbs and other supplements can interact with or interfere with prescription meds.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#277331 - 02/18/17 03:26 PM Re: Supplements [Re: EmA_LI_80]
obrienk84 Offline
Registered Visitor

I take NAC, which has helped me tremendously with fatigue. My rheumatologist recommended it.

Also, OMEGA-3/fish-oil has been shown to provide benefits in some decent clinical studies.

#277614 - 03/24/17 07:23 PM Re: Supplements [Re: EmA_LI_80]
an0thermike Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: SF Bay Area
This is an old post but I'll throw my hat into the ring on this. I believe that a lot of my arthritis pain stems from digestive issues. So I take supplements that target digestion.

List:
Psyllium husk fiber
l-glutamine
aloe vera capsules
peppermint capsules
combo probiotic (30 billionish)
lactoferrin
digestive enzymes

I also take turmeric and fish oil, and they seem to help with inflammation a little bit.

As a side, I'm also on the low fodmap diet, and that seems to really help. Theory is that the low fodmap diet only allows you to eat food that digest quickly thus they don't get very far into the small intestine. If you've read about sibo, you can see why this is helpful as it helps control the amount of bacteria in the small intestine.

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan