Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#275677 - 08/13/16 07:05 PM Are aerial arts ok?
Cyclesfemme Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Wisconsin
My city just had an aerial dance and aerial yoga studio open up. I absolutely love aerial arts and I've always wanted to try it. Here is an example if you are not familiar with it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_silk
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_hoop

What I'm trying to decide is if it is safe for me. I have AS which is controlled well with biologics. My spine has not fused at all and I have mild peripheral pain and swelling. A few years ago my rhuemmy gave her blessing for me to be a roller derby referee with the idea that the benefits that I would get from the exercise would outweigh the risks of having a bad fall while on skates. I'm kind of thinking the same for this. What do you think?

Edited by Cyclesfemme (08/13/16 07:25 PM)

#275691 - 08/14/16 06:04 PM Re: Are aerial arts ok? [Re: Cyclesfemme]
Jessie10 Offline
Registered Visitor

Looks like fun! I'm not sure how your body will respond but a lot of people do impact spots and seem to manage fine. The Aerial arts looks something like yoga? Could be great! I say, try it and listen to your body. Let us know how it goes

#275698 - 08/14/16 08:18 PM Re: Are aerial arts ok? [Re: Cyclesfemme]
Cyclesfemme Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Wisconsin
My local place offers aerial yoga and aerial dance. My best friend has severe RA and also suggested I go for it too. Lol. I think I will smile

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan