Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#276915 - 12/19/16 12:03 PM Any New Info for Active Duty Service Members?
geneab Offline
First time visitor

I have been told you can see AS in my x-rays and the marker in my blood but the Rheumatologist said I did not have AS. I am active duty Army and been bounced back and forth on my diagnosis. My work is not strenuous but the physical training stretches and sit ups are a chore. The current doctor said he "doesn't want to get blood on his hands" so wanted more blood work and have a physical therapist evaluate to see my limitations. Is there anything I should be looking for, terms to key in on? Is there any current information on service members being medically discharged or retired for AS?

#277119 - 01/22/17 10:45 AM Re: Any New Info for Active Duty Service Members? [Re: geneab]
60Driver Offline
Registered Visitor

It took me four years of visits for back and hip pain before I finally got a diagnosis of AS. Once I was diagnosed and prescribed Humira, it took another 3 years before they initiated an MEB on me. Other people's timelines move much faster though. As far as current information on service members being discharged, I would have to say that each case is different. Initially, I was going to be separated for mine (70% VA and 10% Army) but I appealed to a formal board so I'm still on Active Duty with a deployment-limiting permanent profile. Again, individual outcomes will vary drastically based on individual medical and performance history as well as MOS.

Feel free to send me a message or reply on this forum if you have more specific questions about anything related to this.

Edited by 60Driver (01/22/17 10:47 AM)

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan