Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#252329 - 05/17/13 08:50 PM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]  
BeckySue Offline
Registered Visitor
BeckySue  Offline
Registered Visitor

Georgia
I am a horticulturist doing landscape maintenance and installation work. I have been in the business 20 years, probably all of it with spondylitis, but only diagnosed in my 40's. I am 57 now, and just this year I had to cut back on my workload because it was just too physical for my body, and I was too exhausted after a summer day. My rheumy says that the fact that my job kept my so active and moving all day probably kept my disease progression at bay for a while. Now I cannot do the bending required, and especially having to stay in one bent position for a length of time is too painful. However I have found out how quickly the stiffness arrives after sitting for only 1/2 hour! Guess age and AS have ganged up on me, but I don't regret any of those 20 years outdoors.

Psoriatic Arthritis since 2000. Failed Enbrel and Humira, now on Cimzia and methotrexate.
#252616 - 05/26/13 09:38 PM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]  
Tiamoonpi Offline
Registered Visitor
Tiamoonpi  Offline
Registered Visitor

Wisconsin
I am a teacher and I currently work with infants and toddlers. I have some really hard days but my AS is relatively well-controlled (until very recently...I'm having more bad days than good at the moment). I do yoga and therapeutic stretches and exercises each day and I think it really helps. I have had trouble over the years with bosses and co-workers (and teachers/professors during HS and college) who just didn't take the time to learn about what I was going through but right now I don't have that problem, which is SO nice. I actually find this sort of active work a bit easier than classroom teaching with older kids. I think it wears me out more but it's easier to do in the moment, if that makes sense. I might start a TNF-blocker soon and I'm worried about the suppressed immune system being around little bitty kiddos. Anyone have any tips or stories relating to teaching while immuno-suppressed?

28-year-old female w/ AS (misdianosed as juvenile RA at age 14 and lots of other stuff in between - finally diagnosed Sept. 2010) w/ hip involvement. HLA B27 positive. Taking NSAID (diclofenac) currently - thinking about Enbrel or Humira. Gluten-free. Yoga enthusiast.
#252655 - 05/27/13 10:49 PM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]  
seekonk Offline
Registered Visitor
seekonk  Offline
Registered Visitor

I am a lecturer at a college and have a relatively light workload compared to most jobs, as well as summers and winter vacation off. (The salary isn't great though.) If not for the light workload, I could not have kept the job when I was really bad, before diagnosis - even so a friend who teaches in the same department took over my classes for 6 weeks during my worst flare, when I couldn't even get there (nice of him, but also, I did give him my salary).

Spondylitis since '08, finally diagnosed Feb '11.
Enbrel 50mg/week.
#252664 - 05/28/13 01:11 AM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]  
essiep Offline
Registered Visitor
essiep  Offline
Registered Visitor

St Louis, MO
I work at a desk all day doing mortgage processing. I'm one in a sea of cubicles, but no one cares if I get up and move around during the day to loosen up. The biggest challenge for me right now is all the screen time. I'm having eye-related flare ups and the monitors make me nuts. My boss has been really great and gotten me those screen shields that limit the light output and had my cube set up my someone who specializes in ergonomics. I would love one of those treadmill desks but no one in the company has one so I doubt they'd let me be the first.

-Sarah-
27 years old, HLA-27+, reynauds & uveitis, pending diagnosis from rheumatologist.
Meds: NSAIDS & prilosec. Alternative therapies.
#253551 - 06/10/13 12:18 AM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]  
iviary Offline
Registered Visitor
iviary  Offline
Registered Visitor

North Texas
Sarah, does anyone in your company have a standing desk? That would at least be a start.

Mary, 25, happily married pro photographer, momma to 2 great danes.
Dx: Psoriatic Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Psoriasis, Sjogren's, IBS, Hiatal Hernia, & possible Endometriosis.
Meds: Stelara, Methotrexate, Relafen, Omeprazole, Lyrica, Tizanidine, Voltaren Gel, Tramadol
#253591 - 06/11/13 02:38 AM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]  
mont974x4 Offline
Registered Visitor
mont974x4  Offline
Registered Visitor

Montana
I am in the process of becoming an insurance agent. I am also an ordained pastor. In both situations I am essentially self-employed as I set my own schedule and work pace. This also means I can homeschool my two younger sons and volunteer around town.

Jay

NOTE: If you aint here to help row the boat then you are welcome to walk the plank.
#253907 - 06/16/13 08:19 PM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]  
HolisticHealer Offline
First time visitor
HolisticHealer  Offline
First time visitor

Hello! I was searching the forum to see if anyone has had luck with/recommends using a standing desk setup for desk jobs! I'm a graphic designer and am awful at remembering to get up and stretch!

#253978 - 06/18/13 07:43 PM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]  
JenInCincy Offline
Registered Visitor
JenInCincy  Offline
Registered Visitor

Cincinnati, OH
My partner has a standard artist's desk at home (maybe 2 feet x 3 feet; flat; legs are adjustable-height.) He keeps his at an angle and pretty high, as he likes to sit on a taller stool type chair (using a footrest) than a normal desk chair. You can probably adjust this type of thing to use while standing. I would think it would be common among designers.

Jen, 42, happy partner of James and Moma to Evan, 14, & Lucy, 12.5 (Crohn's dx @ age 3; on Remicade since April 2010.) I take piroxicam, Flexeril, & Nucynta ER nightly. 3 anti-TNFs didn't pan out for me.

"Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance." -- Hippocrates
#253979 - 06/18/13 07:51 PM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: BeckySue]  
CentralGaGal Offline
Registered Visitor
CentralGaGal  Offline
Registered Visitor

South Carolina
Originally Posted By: BeckySue
My rheumy says that the fact that my job kept my so active and moving all day probably kept my disease progression at bay for a while. Now I cannot do the bending required, and especially having to stay in one bent position for a length of time is too painful. However I have found out how quickly the stiffness arrives after sitting for only 1/2 hour! Guess age and AS have ganged up on me, but I don't regret any of those 20 years outdoors.

I would have to say as well, when my Type "A" personality slowed down (and I had the neck fusion) is when the AS reared it's head will revenge. Up until mid 2010, I ran wide open all the time just popping meds to curb the moderate pain. When I sat down to ease it and get over the injuries and surgery is when the sky fell for me.

In my job, the last few years there they installed ergonomic desks that were hydraulic and the computer screen was mounted with an arm and fully adjustable. The chairs did not elevate to that height but on days that sitting was a bear, it was a welcome option.

#254222 - 06/21/13 05:03 AM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]  
helenaS Offline
Registered Visitor
helenaS  Offline
Registered Visitor

Canada
I work as an MRI and Xray tech. I like the MRI work because I can control if I am sitting or standing easier than with xray. There is more sitting though with the MRI, but if Im not too lazy I can pretty much stand if Im not at the computer. The xray work is brutal. I do not recommend it for people with AS. The constant pulling and pushing of equipment and patients just about kills me. Also I am on my feet all day. My co-workers are amazing though and help me whenever I ask, sometimes without me even asking! I am truly lucky to have such great people to work with. I read this forum thinking about what a good career change might be, because honestly the xray work is so brutal and I don't see myself getting full timeish MRI work any time soon. I wonder if working as a mailman would be good, because I feel the least amount of pain when walking. Wonder how heavy those bags are.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6