Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#254330 - 06/23/13 01:52 AM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]
SniperWolf Offline
First time visitor

Loc: United States
I am a corrections officer . Which as you can probably guess makes this a very challenging situation for me.. Between flare ups and the average wear and tear of everyday encounters has been very tough on me physically as well as mentally. I am not able to function to my full potential and my off time is usually used for recovery. I am a single father of two beautiful young girls which has its own challenges as well. I am new to this forum and have been diagnosed and been treated now for 7 years. I recently just spent a week in the hospital due to a severe flare up that left me very debilitated. i now have the need of a walker at home and fight through my days at work. I am unsure what i should do my physician says that i should start the process of disibility, although i am not mentally prepared for that as of yet. Physically now thats another story.

#254691 - 06/30/13 11:00 AM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]
catgirl Offline
Registered Visitor

I just took a job that will involve mostly computer/desk work but I have a height-adjustable desk that I'm bringing to the job. I still don't know if I have AS. Nothing is showing up on MRIs but I do get stiff if I have to sit too long. My first week on the job was brutal because I didn't have my desk, had to sit for hours and hours, and the office is in the process of a move, which has meant doing some physical work. I pull muscles if I over do it.

#255128 - 07/14/13 10:28 PM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]
an0thermike Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: SF Bay Area
I'm a visual FX artist. So I basically work on the computer making explosion, water FX, sparks, smoke, whatever. I mainly work on movies and commercials. I really don't think I could have picked a much better job with this disease. I don't really have a problem with sitting, so as long as I have a good chair, I'm pretty good. I can also work from home a lot of the time and that's pretty nice with this disease.

I am thinking about switching careers or adding a part time job however. I'm a huge baseball geek, like probably the biggest you'll ever meet. I'd really like to get into the baseball industry in some way. Probably as a writer or something, though I know that's not an easy industry to break into. VFX isn't an especially easy industry to break into either though.

#255130 - 07/14/13 10:43 PM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]
iviary Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: North Texas
Nice Mike! That's what most of the folks in my college program were trying to do (well, not necessarily all VFX, but jobs based around 3d modeling and the like). I was on a different track (essentially web design), and ultimately strayed from that for my chosen career, but it's neat to "meet" someone who's making it in a field that I know a lot of people have failed to enter. I took one of the animation track electives for fun - traditional 2d animation - and had a blast with it. Not enough to want to do anything along those lines myself as a career, but I think it's cool that you do. :P

#264292 - 02/18/14 07:51 AM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]
emz281 Offline
First time visitor

Loc: UK
Hello, I am a dog walker! which consists of driving around picking up dogs then going for around a 3 mile walk with them. It is a fantstic job for me as on bad flare days I can slow the pace and just throw balls for the dogs. The walking helps to loosen my stiff joints. I regularly see an Osteopath every other week to be able to keep working.

#264304 - 02/18/14 03:38 PM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]
Sean O Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Toronto
I am a lawyer working for the government. I am lucky because it gives me great drug insurance coverage. At work, I find AS can slow me down when I am feeling pain - it becomes difficult to concentrate when pain is on your mind. Mine is mostly a desk job so I have to take the initiative to get up and walk around the office periodically to loosen up my back.

Years ago when I was in college I got a summer job at a well-known pizza chain. It required me to stand for hours in one spot and make pizzas, with only the occasional break. I lasted two days. I could do a job where I had to walk around but never one where I had to stand basically still for the work day.
Male, early 50s, Dx AS+ 1991, HLA B27+, Tylenol 3 PRN for flares. Off NSAIDs due to stomach issues. Considering a biologic. SI and thoracic involvement and costochondritis. Many bouts of uveitis. Small bowel issues, anemia.

#266670 - 05/23/14 08:16 PM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]
lookin4ward Offline
First time visitor

Loc: Australia
I am a registered nurse. New to this site. Looking for work after being semi-retired since 2010 due to cancer treatment. Meantime I have been carer two days per week for 2 year old grand daughter while her mum studies. I garden quite a bit but it is punishing on muscles and joints. Takes me days to recover but I cannot do nothing. I am waiting to see Prof Matthew Brown at Diamantina Institute. Right now dealing with stiffness, enthesitis, costochondritis, poor sleep, chronic pain and breathlessness (on stairs and when bending). Feeling anxious about working again and have applied for casual and part time only. Just dreading early starts because of brain fog.
Right now my doc calls my health issues fibromyalgia with sicca syndrome. I have been doing mindful self compassion practice to help deal with chronic pain and depression related to that. Really do not totally believe the diagnosis 'fibromyalgia'. I think doctors label us with that when nothing seems to fit. I am seronegative but have low iron, low D3. Waiting with some apprehension to hear from my two latest job applications.
This forum is so helpful. I really appreciate the honesty and caring support messages between posters. This is the missing link in health care.

#267109 - 06/12/14 12:07 PM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]
KenE Offline
Registered Visitor

I am a manufacturing maintenance engineer at a major auto manufacturer. I requested 2nd shift to allow for time to get moving and do stretching and traction without having to get up at 4am for 1st shift. The past two years have really been a struggle with pain, fatigue and lack of concentration. I can no longer perform at half of my previous level of performance. I have been looking into early retirement but do not think I'll make it (at least 2 1/2 yrs away at the earliest). Trying to find out if I can go onto my employer STD/LTD now (before losing my my job due to performance and attendance issues). If not I will look into reduced work week. I am thinking I should reverse the order and seek a reduced work week now and escalate to STD/LTD later if needed. Any thoughts, suggestions or similar experience? Hard to find someone to consult with on these matters.

Age 53
Diagnosed in 2007
Ankylosing Spondylitis, DDD, DJD, hypertension
Methetrexate
Humira
Norco
Bystolic

Edited by KenE (06/12/14 12:14 PM)

#267142 - 06/13/14 12:29 PM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]
WhiteCell Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Whidbey Island WA
KenE

I would start your own thread on the general forum. Higher visibility and therefore perhaps more good ideas.

Severe Right Eye Glaucoma- Trabeculectomy/lens replacement 2006. DSAEK Cornea Transplant 2009. Ahmed Shunt 6/2016. DSAEK November 2016.

Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. 2004. Cured by RF ablation 2006. Cardizem 240 CD.

ICU RN

~Grasp The Challenge and Succeed~

#267153 - 06/13/14 05:23 PM Re: What is your Job? What are the pros/cons with AS? [Re: pilotmike5]
KenE Offline
Registered Visitor

Thank you.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >