Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#277536 - 03/14/17 11:19 AM Infrared Sauna
ccj Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: great lakes
Has anyone tried an Infrared Sauna? What was your experience? How long did you stay in? Did you have any adverse effects?I am very interested in this and the idea of detoxification.

#277725 - 04/11/17 03:49 PM Re: Infrared Sauna [Re: ccj]
ccj Offline
Registered Visitor

I had the opportunity to try an Infrared Sauna; it felt amazing! Definitely helped with the pain from AS.

#277864 - 04/28/17 06:12 PM Re: Infrared Sauna [Re: ccj]
Eleven11 Offline
Registered Visitor

Will you keep us posted if you keep using it and if you have continued success? I've been thinking of trying this.

Also, was it near infrared or a different type?

#277876 - 05/01/17 02:52 PM Re: Infrared Sauna [Re: ccj]
ccj Offline
Registered Visitor

Yes it works!! It has reduced my pain. I use it 2-3 times a week. I recommend trying one. The sauna I have been using is a Full Spectrum Sauna, which means it has near, mid, and far.

#277881 - 05/02/17 12:27 AM Re: Infrared Sauna [Re: ccj]
lilpoke Offline
Registered Visitor

I am new to the board (diagnosed with AS in 2005) and want to thank everyone that posts questions/answers. I thought I would tell you of my personal experience with infrared saunas....

I have an infrared sauna in my home. I do enjoy using it and believe the detoxing effects are wonderful. It also helps me relax when my muscles get overly tight. I do, however, find that when my joint inflammation is flaring, heat actually makes my joints hurt worse. Thus, I have to pick and choose when to use it.

The length of time and temperature really depends upon the sauna you have. The first one I owned, retained the heat really well (less windows/glass) Generally, 20 minutes at around 110-114 degrees was my limit. My current sauna has a lot more glass. It has to reach 130 degrees before I begin to sweat and I can easily stay in it for 30 minutes or more.

(If you decide to purchase an infrared sauna, make sure you buy one with low EMF readings. Some of the lower cost saunas have high EMF readings, which could potentially be harmful to you.)

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan