Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#277544 - 03/15/17 01:46 PM Darkened finger joints?
Kelseria Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cochabamba, Bolivia
Hi guys,

I woke up this morning with darkened finger joints. It looks like they have been bruised. I am in the middle of a flare and just started on Humira a week ago. I was wondering if it was a side effect of Humira but I can't find any information to suggest that. Has anyone ever had this problem or am I the only weird one?

Thanks!

#277545 - 03/15/17 02:49 PM Re: Darkened finger joints? [Re: Kelseria]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
I get bruises at new joints that are affected by flare. Slight, bruise looking brownish blue. Be very careful how you use your fingers so you do not damage them.

Are you taking NSAIDs? Do you have a bit of steriods? It can take a couple doses for Humira to help. Once your fingers are damaged, there is no fixing. Do not carry anything with your fingers, like grocery bags etc. Do not wring anything out like wash cloth and esp (because people recommend it) do not squeeze a small ball.

Anna

#277546 - 03/15/17 03:22 PM Re: Darkened finger joints? [Re: Kelseria]
GardenGnome Offline
Registered Visitor

Speak with your doctor about any abnormal effects like that. Especially sine you jsut started taking Humira and this happened.

#277558 - 03/17/17 03:21 PM Re: Darkened finger joints? [Re: Kelseria]
Ucla08 Offline
Registered Visitor

Is skin darkening a thing that happens in arthritis flares? I got reactive arthritis in my knees about 10 years ago after a bout of bronchitis. Since then, I get flares periodically. I've been having one the last few weeks and a few days ago noticed that the skin on my knees was darker than usual, kind of purpleish, almost like a bruise but not tender or sore like a bruise.

I just joined this board after being diagnosed with SpA/probable AS and this post jumped out at me.

#277561 - 03/17/17 08:43 PM Re: Darkened finger joints? [Re: Kelseria]
Kelseria Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Cochabamba, Bolivia
Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions, Anna. I am very careful with my fingers because they hurt like mad but I do work as a transcriptionist so lots of typing.

My rheumy got back to me and said that it is called postinflammatory hyperpigmentation and that is pretty common in inflammatory arthritis. So that should answer your question, UCLA08.

She said to give the Humira a bit more time to work.

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan