Next Thread
Print Thread
#277537 - 03/14/17 03:24 PM Popping in spine  
ccj Offline
Registered Visitor
ccj  Offline
Registered Visitor

great lakes
I have had AS for 30ish years. My neck quickly fused many years ago. Now I am experiencing popping noises in my spine....I can not tell their exact location. There is no pain with this. Any ideas?

#277547 - 03/16/17 08:27 AM Re: Popping in spine [Re: ccj]  
Tacitus Online
Registered Visitor
Tacitus  Online
Registered Visitor

Reno/San Fernando LU PI

Hello, ccj:

The popping in spine is "crepitus," which is caused by the sudden relocation of trapped CO2, a byproduct of inflammation of a volume which cannot be absorbed by the blood/lymph locally.

Hard to mount sneak attacks, when we announce our movements with such intensity.

HEALTH,
John

Nota Bene: I am not a medical doctor, and my views do not represent the opinions of the SAA
AS Resources
My Long, Boring AS Story
Professor Alan Ebringer Diet and AS

#277548 - 03/16/17 01:47 PM Re: Popping in spine [Re: Tacitus]  
ccj Offline
Registered Visitor
ccj  Offline
Registered Visitor

great lakes
Thanks for the response Tacitus!

Do you have any idea if working on improving the lymph system (i.e. dry brushing) would stop or lessen the popping? I am a firm believer in being as proactive as I can....exercise, diet,.....(with as little meds as possible)

Yes, sneak attacks can be difficult. My hips occasionally pop too, but when my spine started to pop the noise being closer to my ears was a bit disconcerning.

Thanks....

#277551 - 03/17/17 04:41 AM Re: Popping in spine [Re: ccj]  
Tacitus Online
Registered Visitor
Tacitus  Online
Registered Visitor

Reno/San Fernando LU PI
Hello, ccj:

Anything that stimulates lymph circulation is good, especially walking and castor oil packs; have not experienced dry brushing but it is probably safe. Main thing is to eliminate any residual inflammation well before fusion fixes the intervertebral spaces permanently--THEN there will be silence but just not the right kind...

HEALTH,
John

Nota Bene: I am not a medical doctor, and my views do not represent the opinions of the SAA
AS Resources
My Long, Boring AS Story
Professor Alan Ebringer Diet and AS

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan