Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#277530 - 03/13/17 10:21 PM Just your Humble opinions
GeorgeUPS Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New jersey
Been diagnosed with AS for less then a year. Have the typical pains, joints, lower back , which seem to be getting better slowly with Humira. I also have two bad knees that I have had multiple surgeries on over the years, from torn meniscus, to finally a partial knee. Nothing has worked to ease the knee pain. If anything I feel both knees are getting worse

Since the Ortho found out I have AS, he doesn't think I should turn my partial knee replacement to a full. He thinks it might be due to my AS, but that pain is not getting any better with my meds. He thinks I should wait to see how this all plays out. I know a full knee replacement is a big time surgery, but I am so tired of the pain. Should I roll the dice and push for a total knee replacement, or keep waiting it out. We all suffer thru pain, I just wish for once I can be pain free. At this point I would try anything to have some sort of "normal" life.

#277531 - 03/14/17 01:13 AM Re: Just your Humble opinions [Re: GeorgeUPS]
NotMeToo Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: United States
Personally, I would advise giving Humira a bit more time to work it's magic. It looks like you have been on it for about 3 months. Humira can take up to 6 months to reach full effectiveness. Prior to starting Enbrel (a million moons ago) I was in serious agony with my jaw and had a surgeon recommending a jaw joint replacement. My rheumatologist convinced me to start Enbrel and seek a second surgical opinion. By the time I saw the new surgeon, Enbrel had tamed my jaw joint inflammation and the surgeon suggested waiting on the joint replacement. (Both joints are bone on bone and the condyle is significantly malformed.) Many years later, I am still waiting.

I did have both of my knees replaced several years ago. We did one, recovered, and did the second one. Although it is certainly major surgery, I am so glad that I had both replaced. I worked hard, spent months in PT, and recovered well. I am back to medium distance running at least 4 to 5 days per week. Sadly, my road race days are over though.

If your knee issues don't significantly improve after 6 months on Humira, I think you should revisit the total knee replacement question.

#277532 - 03/14/17 01:34 AM Re: Just your Humble opinions [Re: GeorgeUPS]
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
I guess the question is where specifically the knee pain is coming from.

I have bad knees too, and I have two distinctly different types and locations of knee pain. The first is the bone-on-bone pain due to loss of joint space and the resulting cartilage damage. I've had a partial replacement (medial compartment) in one knee which successfully addressed this pain, and I will have the other knee done in the next couple of years.

The other pain is the tendonitis-type pain that I get primarily in the back of my knees. The partial replacement did not address this pain, nor did I expect it to.

What does your rheumy say about your knees?
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#277535 - 03/14/17 08:00 AM Re: Just your Humble opinions [Re: GeorgeUPS]
Flowers Offline
Registered Visitor

I told my rheumatologist that I do not want to have any surgeries and would prefer to take the drugs to prevent the damage. I was close to having bilateral carpel tunnel surgery because the numbness and tingling was very severe and I lost range of motion in both hands. I was put on Arava and within 3 months, I got my full range of motion back and I am very grateful for my doc.

Keep working with your doc and communicate your goals and ask your docs to communicate with one another to get you on a better track.

Shari

#277538 - 03/14/17 12:42 PM Re: Just your Humble opinions [Re: GeorgeUPS]
GeorgeUPS Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New jersey
I go back to rheumy in a few weeks to discuss. I did get a cortisone shot in one knee, and that seems to help. But I have done the cortisone shot thing a lot in my life. It works for a bit, then right back to where we started from

I feel like I have been playing this waiting game for years, always hoping something will work. I know I should probably wait on the Humira. Thank you to this site for all your suggestions and opinions. Dont know what I would have done without you all

George

#277552 - 03/17/17 11:00 AM Re: Just your Humble opinions [Re: GeorgeUPS]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
Give Humira more time, and perhaps if other joints are still bothing you perhaps add another med. AT least 6 months for full effect.

Good luck, and I know how distracting knee pain can be. You get afraid of tripping too. Sorry.

Anna

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan