Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#277568 - 03/19/17 08:46 AM New Hip soon.........
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Minnesota
Like many of you out there both of my hips have been giving me trouble for many years. I've had the pain killer/steroid injections in the past with short term relief. In 2010 I had one that did nothing at all so I didn't request them after that. Anyway, I've been having a rough time the past year with both hips with the left side being far worst most of the time. I finally asked my PCP to send me to Ortho. Saw them early Feb. The insisted that I have another injection before the proceeded any further. Had the injection 5 days later on a Tuesday. Friday evening the pain in the left hip dropped off and was completely pain free by Saturday morning. That lasted about 3 1/2 weeks. Feb 25th the pain and pressure returned.

So I saw the Ortho Nurse Practitioner again on Friday. We decided to proceed with surgery. She offered another injection which I declined. The last one caused my blood sugar reading to soar into the 300's for about 15 days. That was affecting my eyesight. I'm going to just tough it out until perhaps late November/early December. Will deiced that in September after I meet with the Surgeon(s).

I can not over emphasize just how great the Minneapolis Veterans Medical Center (VAMC) is and how well they take care of me. They are the Flagship of the VA. Largest VAMC in the country and the 2nd or 3rd largest research Hospital in the country. I will be given the choice of having the surgery done locally (MAYO system). I'll turn that down and take the drive 100 miles each way to the VAMC.

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44

#277574 - 03/19/17 04:46 PM Re: New Hip soon......... [Re: Ken Delano]
SouthernMoss Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
Ken, hopefully the hip surgery will do wonders for you. Will you do both at once, or one at a time?

In either case, it should be a piece of cake compared to your jaw surgeries. Still makes me shudder to think of all you went through with those.

That's so awesome that you are able to get such good care at VAMC. It speaks well of them that you are willing to travel to use them over the local facility.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#277577 - 03/20/17 06:35 AM Re: New Hip soon......... [Re: Ken Delano]
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

Just the left one for now Ginny. I'll wait and see what happens one I have a good one.

And yes, when compared to all of the jaw stuff I think a hip replacement will be a walk in the park!I don't wish that TMJ and LaForte on anyone!

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44

#277612 - 03/24/17 07:05 AM Re: New Hip soon......... [Re: Ken Delano]
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

It's nights like the past two that I wonder if I am making the "right" choice by waiting until this coming winter!

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44

#277613 - 03/24/17 01:24 PM Re: New Hip soon......... [Re: Ken Delano]
SouthernMoss Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
Would they let you move it sooner?
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#277619 - 03/25/17 10:42 PM Re: New Hip soon......... [Re: Ken Delano]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
It seems so far away, though. My friends loved their hip replacements. Much easier and quicker than knee replacements. Good luck and glad you are getting good treatment

Anna

#277628 - 03/27/17 05:21 PM Re: New Hip soon......... [Re: Ken Delano]
becca Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Ohio
Its been 6 years since I had my hips replaced and all has gone very well. The first few weeks are rough, but so worth it. Best of luck!

#277632 - 03/28/17 06:32 AM Re: New Hip soon......... [Re: Ken Delano]
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

I've been able to get an appointment in mid May to see Ortho (instead of Sept). So perhaps we will be able to move this to early August. As long as I can drive to an event late Sept/early Oct I'll be happy.

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44

#277640 - 03/28/17 06:55 PM Re: New Hip soon......... [Re: Ken Delano]
cindyd Offline
Registered Visitor

Ken, will the new hip, cause any problems with driving your motorcycle? Guess I don't know any one who has a new hip, and drives a cycle.
Have thought about restoring my Honda 50...?
My first cycle.
Haven't ridden a cycle in a few years, but still think I know how!!!

#277641 - 03/28/17 08:53 PM Re: New Hip soon......... [Re: Ken Delano]
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

During the healing it will of course. After that no. Fact it should if anything help.

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan