Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#277584 - 03/20/17 12:21 PM Trouble Breathing
ronj56 Offline
Registered Visitor

Diagnosed with AS about 1994. About 2007 began severe cervical nerve pain. 2013 had not other choice but opioid pain meds. In 2016 began Remicade.

Recently have had trouble breathing and a feeling of impending doom. Can AS cause the rib cage to stop your breathing? Is that a realistic concern? And could Remicade or the pain meds cause the felling of doom?

I know I'm asking a lot of you all but any feedback would do. See my Doctor Thursday, something's got to give. I am doing my best to continue working; I have a 9 year old that I must remain strong for.

#277587 - 03/20/17 01:07 PM Re: Trouble Breathing [Re: ronj56]
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
AS can affect the ribs where they attach to the spine and also where they attach to the sternum (breastbone). If you have inflammation or fusion in these areas, it can affect your ability to expand your ribcage to take a deep breath.

Pain meds can cause mood changes, which could possibly account for your feeling of doom. It could also be from depression. Definitely discuss this with your doctor.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#277588 - 03/20/17 02:06 PM Re: Trouble Breathing [Re: ronj56]
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor

Have your heart checked. That feeling of impending doom can sometimes precede a heart event. Heart issues can also cause shortness of breath.

#277591 - 03/20/17 03:53 PM Re: Trouble Breathing [Re: ronj56]
ronj56 Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks All, in 2000, had heart cath; came back clear coronary arteries. That was a long time ago though smile.

But that is exactly what I thought. My practice has been if the heart symptoms are not related to exertion, then I just chalk it up to the AS, rib cage ect. So far that has worked.

It seemed the breakthrough pain med was causing the issue so I stopped them and am sticking to the ER medicine only. Love to stop that crap all together.

#277595 - 03/20/17 04:57 PM Re: Trouble Breathing [Re: ronj56]
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor

Not trying to freak you out. It probably isn't your heart. But AS-related heart damage wouldn't have anything to do with clogged coronary arteries. AS-related inflammation typically damages the heart around the aortic valve and aortic root. Mention it to your doctor on Thursday just to be sure.

#277599 - 03/20/17 09:56 PM Re: Trouble Breathing [Re: ronj56]
ronj56 Offline
Registered Visitor

Will do. I really appreciate the responses. It's certainly helpful to talk.

Edited by ronj56 (03/20/17 09:59 PM)
Edit Reason: Addition

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan