Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#277708 - 04/08/17 03:45 AM Recommended Office Chairs for AS
Adi Offline
First time visitor

Hello everyone,

I have a challenge that I believe some of you also faced up till now. My job implies spending most of the day in the chair in front of the computer.

I am thinking now to make an upgrade for my home office & to get a chair that would really make a difference for my back pain.

Checking various reviews & forums I have found mixed feedback. Typically those who seem to have no problem really appreciate the ergonomic / expensive chairs yet I have seen several cases of people complaining of same side effects for 1000$+ chairs as they would've had from their previous 100$ ones...

So before I spend loads of money on a chair (that could make no difference), I am really looking for your folks feedback on this. Did you solve this mystery? Is there any chair that really offers slightly better confort for those who spend 10-12 hours in front of the computer every day?

Many thanks!
aries

#277711 - 04/09/17 09:27 AM Re: Recommended Office Chairs for AS [Re: Adi]
Ucla08 Offline
Registered Visitor

I don't have any particular recommendations re: specific chairs but I wonder if one approach might be to think about how to not use any one chair/position for too long. There are quite a few options now for standing desks, there are "kneeling chairs," exercise balls or exercise ball chairs.

I would guess that if someone is in one position all day, there is no chair that is going to make that feel good for the body - the body is meant to move. This would of course be worse with AS. But, if you could rotate through a few options during the day with stretch/walk breaks built in, maybe that would help?

Of course if you have too many options then your office mates might give you crap about your office looking like a office furniture showroom so there's that to consider : )

Since I sit a lot for my job, I'm curious if others have any ideas though!