Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#277761 - 04/17/17 05:15 PM Odd ongoings
sdot Offline
Registered Visitor

I have been dropping weight like crazy, I lost about 16 lbs in less than two weeks. My appetite hasn't been the greatest, but that seems a bit weird.

Also I have been very stuffy breathing from my nose where I almost go into a panic attack thinking I can't breathe, and the fatigue has been nuts.

MMJ is an amazing help, but I need to figure this out. I won't be seeing my rhematoloist until May.

#277764 - 04/18/17 06:20 AM Re: Odd ongoings [Re: sdot]
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Minnesota
I'd make a quick call to my Primary Care. Rapid weight drop, especially not planned, is not to be taken lightly. In my case it was the first indication that I had become a Diabetic.

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44

#277765 - 04/18/17 12:06 PM Re: Odd ongoings [Re: sdot]
sdot Offline
Registered Visitor

Oh snap. That is not good. I do not need to collect these diseases.

So Ken. Let me tell you about our wonderful 'free' Canadian healthcare that we pay significant taxes into. The only available doctor in my city is in a walk in clinic with a 5 hour wait at any given time. The wait is so bad, that you go online, pick a number, and then wait at home till your number is coming close on your computer screen, then you hop in your car, boogie to the walk in, wait another 2 hours, and get brushed off.

I have kinds figured out I either need to become a doctor quick, or just die from lack of access to health care.

Now I guess I can drive 2 hours into Toronto and see a doctor there. It's a shame that when you are making a million bucks as a doctor you don't want to drive your Bentley into cities that need you.

#277766 - 04/18/17 12:06 PM Re: Odd ongoings [Re: sdot]
sdot Offline
Registered Visitor

I don't know if i even want to do a look up for diabetes symptoms. completely tired of this.

#277767 - 04/18/17 01:24 PM Re: Odd ongoings [Re: sdot]
sdot Offline
Registered Visitor

Mind you, I usually do hover around 220lbs and under normal circumstances eat like a horse, so i have been able to maintain my weight, but when i stop eating i can drop it fast.

My kids are at that age where they hear me opening the snack drawer and come running and anything that I really like to eat. I have to grab and run into the bathroom and eat it.. haha.

We will see what happens in the next little while. I just bought a new TV and laptop so if I can survive longer than the warranty I will be happy, i don't generally get too many new laptops in life.

#277788 - 04/19/17 11:10 AM Re: Odd ongoings [Re: sdot]
Ken Delano Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Minnesota
Keep in mind that chronic fatigue is also a side effect of AS.

Health care. I am very fortunate to have the Veterans Administration taking care of me. Specifically the VA Medical Center in Minneapolis, MN. So I have no dog in the health care fight here in the US so I normally don't say much about it.
Both the US and Canadian systems have their Pro's and Con's. Wish someone would find a way to combine the Pro's off both systems...

Retired on disability
in 2005 at age 44

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan