Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#277677 - 04/03/17 12:10 PM Yoga?
sjb Offline
Registered Visitor

I was recently diagnosed with spondylitis, although I have had symptoms since I was a teenager. I have been trying yoga, but I'm not sure if there are other exercise options that may be more beneficial. I think yoga helps overall but sometimes it seems to hurt my back even more. It is difficult for me to distinguish between "good pain" that maybe hurts now but will be beneficial overall, and "bad pain" which is actually hurting my back. Any advice?

#277785 - 04/19/17 05:43 AM Re: Yoga? [Re: sjb]
AllieG Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Austin, TX
Yoga works for me, and I have been battling this disease for five years now. Try restorative yoga, thats very gentle and easy on your body. Good luck!
Remicade(500 mg/every 6 wk)
Methotrexate(25 mg/wk)
Oxycodone(10 mg/3x a day)
Prednisone(10 mg/ daily for 5 days)
Folic Acid(10 mg/day)
Vitamin D(1,000 IU/day, 50,000/week)
Tizanidine(4 mg/3x a day)
Gabapentin (1200 mg/3 x a day)

#277798 - 04/19/17 09:33 PM Re: Yoga? [Re: sjb]
ahulett Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: Washington
I like yoga as well. If only I did it more.

Listen to your body. If it's too much today, it's too much today. For me, some days my hands are sore, so anything placing my hands on the floor is a potential no go those days. Regarding good vs bad pain, that fine line you'll discover as you go. If it hurts a little the first cycle, hurts more and more with each repetition, liste to that.
Medications: meloxicam (7.5mg daily) and cyclobenzaprine (as needed) in mid-2015; hydroxycholoroquine early 2016; methotrexate 0.6cc Jan 2017 w/1mg folic acid daily; waiting patiently for insurance to approve Enbrel
Supplements: multivitamin and fish oil
Other: allergy shots for 10 years as a kid, and again since about 2009 along with zyrtec, flonase, and montelukast

#277810 - 04/21/17 08:21 AM Re: Yoga? [Re: AllieG]
sjb Offline
Registered Visitor

Thank you both so much for your responses. I appreciate the advice and support.

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan