Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#278199 - 06/14/17 06:10 AM Pain managment for AS? Need help.  
Thesnakejakw Offline
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline
Registered Visitor

I was having pain in my back for a good 12 months - 24 months before being diagnosed with AS a month ago. I have tried NSAIDS During those 12-24 months with no success. I have told my doctor about my back pain about 8 months ago, and was given the answer of my pain is because my spine sticks out, and was suggested to use heat packs when sitting against something, I then complained 3-4 months later about it and was told since I was having discomfort for 6 months with no improvement from NSAIDS ect, They started me on muscle relaxant trials and told me that they were going to do a full xray of my spine and to check for fractures from my osteoporosis which was the cause of a undiagnosed celiac disease that I must of had for at least 5 years. The xrays showed signs of a slightly compressed vert in my mid back, and signs of AS. My chest expands 1/8 of what it should when deep breathing in and out ( I was having severe chest pain that went undiagnosed to this day) Which could lead to the conclusion that my ribcage has fused with my spine. I am on 30MG prednisone first week in with no help in pain, been started on celbrex which so far has done nothing, I also been on Zanaflex 32MG a day, and I get little if no pain relief for my back it feels like someone is pulling from the inside of my spine and trying to rip it out. I have not been started on a DMARD yet because that will be started next week and will take 6 months to take effect I was told. The only relief I felt was while I was in ICU for a DKA and when I complained of back pain they were happy to inject me with Hydromorphone (Basically 10X morphine) and Give me oxycodone, Which completely got rid of all my pain. I was also prescribed a low amount of hydrocodone (24) tablets total for a stress fracture in my foot. After that I was given Tramadol 3 times a day 50MG which also seemed to get rid of my back pain however after 6 weeks I was told that I needed to stop taking it for my foot because it could cause addiction* this is before I was diagnosed with AS, Now some of my doctors are trying things that are not even helping which don't make any since I am on the verge of losing my job due to me unable to work, and I can't get more then 3-5 hours of sleep at night.. I was referred to pain management but they told me they had nothing to offer me and told me to follow up with my primary care.. Anything I can do to tell my doctors I need something better for pain without coming off as a * Drug seeker*?

Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
#278213 - 06/14/17 06:26 PM Re: Pain managment for AS? Need help. [Re: Thesnakejakw]  
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor
SouthernMoss  Offline
Registered Visitor

MS
Did the pain management doctor say why s/he couldn't help you?

Maybe you need to see a different one.

Ginny - 57 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic
#278221 - 06/15/17 12:19 AM Re: Pain managment for AS? Need help. [Re: SouthernMoss]  
Thesnakejakw Offline
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline
Registered Visitor

Originally Posted By: SouthernMoss
Did the pain management doctor say why s/he couldn't help you?

Maybe you need to see a different one.

I visited the pain management in the past it is neuroscience pain management, and they do not prescribe opiods. I went their for my chest pain and as I was having multiple diabetic DKAS they told me any medicine they could give me for that pain would probably cause me to go into a DKA again. this is 5 months after now, I was referred their again and was just given the answer that they are sympathetic to my situation, but have nothing to offer me without any reasons why. My doctors are part of the same building but in a different departments, and only pain management system I believe is in the area for that particular health care provider system. I actually want to try everything I can before being put on powerful narcotics, but I already have... and Since I have osteoporosis I can't rely on steroid injections all my life..

Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
#278222 - 06/15/17 01:55 AM Re: Pain managment for AS? Need help. [Re: Thesnakejakw]  
stud_muffin Offline
First time visitor
stud_muffin  Offline
First time visitor

I have one kidney with stage four CKD and ankylosing spondylitis in my lower back and neck. Shots at my joints and in my muscles and a Tens device do not help. Taking a controlled substance before bedtime causes sleepless nights and is short acting. With no pain control I am woke up by 2 am to 3 AM with severe back pain.

My solution for my pain control is exercise and the use of blank, delayed release, vegetarian capsules. I insert a prescribed controlled pain medication into a 0 size capsule and then insert that capsule into another size 00 capsule. I take the modified capsule at night and the back pain does not wake me up. This prevents insomnia and hyperactive reactions. The delay is about two hours. I get a deeper more restful sleep. Stiffness is minimized with proper (stretching) floor exercises. Addiction is avoided. I will update this info when I finish testing muscle relaxers.

Good Luck.

#278226 - 06/15/17 02:43 AM Re: Pain managment for AS? Need help. [Re: stud_muffin]  
Thesnakejakw Offline
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline
Registered Visitor

The thing is I am 23 years old I have 3 auto immune diseases , I have been in pain for weeks on end 24/7 and the only solution that worked for me so far was prescribed narcotics I just don't know the right words to say to my doc to ask for them without fearing being labeled a person who is out to get pain meds I get terrible reactions from steroid shots and cause more pain then good I have also been declared medically disabled for at least 6 weeks from my doctor and can't return to work until next month . Thank you I really need this pain to go away ..

#278238 - 06/15/17 08:39 PM Re: Pain managment for AS? Need help. [Re: Thesnakejakw]  
Thesnakejakw Offline
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline
Registered Visitor

Update I built up the courage and flat out sent my primary care doctor a message asking pain medication and sent me a tramadol prescription Tha twill last me a few weeks thanks for the input and if anyone else has any input how to control pain please let me know I am not the only one in this fourm looking for pain relief I believe

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan