Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#278197 - 06/14/17 01:15 AM balance problems?
Shippingnews Offline
Registered Visitor

Dear All,

Anyone else have balance problems?

Is it possible I have spinal stenosis?

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000441.htm
---------------------------------
Symptoms are more likely to be present or get worse when you stand or walk. They often lessen or disappear when you sit down or lean forward. Most people with spinal stenosis cannot walk for a long period
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I have above symptoms. Leaning forward lessens the pain in my spine.
Current medicines: Omeprazole, Vit D3, Celecoxib(1 tab)/Zorvolex(2 tabs)(alternatimg between these two every week), Pyridoxine, Isoniazid, MTX(3 tab) every wednesday, on humira every two weeks since Dec 2015, Weekly Humira since June 18th 2016
On cosentyx 300mg a month since Dec '16

#278200 - 06/14/17 02:18 AM Re: balance problems? [Re: Shippingnews]
Shippingnews Offline
Registered Visitor

Edited by Shippingnews (06/14/17 02:21 AM)
Current medicines: Omeprazole, Vit D3, Celecoxib(1 tab)/Zorvolex(2 tabs)(alternatimg between these two every week), Pyridoxine, Isoniazid, MTX(3 tab) every wednesday, on humira every two weeks since Dec 2015, Weekly Humira since June 18th 2016

#278201 - 06/14/17 02:21 AM Re: balance problems? [Re: Shippingnews]
Shippingnews Offline
Registered Visitor

#278202 - 06/14/17 02:21 AM Re: balance problems? [Re: Shippingnews]
Shippingnews Offline
Registered Visitor

#278211 - 06/14/17 01:09 PM Re: balance problems? [Re: Shippingnews]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
You need to make note of what kind of balance problem you have. My ankles are both pretty damaged and so I don't lift them off the ground properly and thus have balance issues from that.

#278216 - 06/14/17 03:23 PM Re: balance problems? [Re: Shippingnews]
Nicole_B Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New England, USA
I believe an MRI would show if you have stenosis (if they were looking for it at least), and I think I remember you having one recently? I can't speak to whether it could cause the symptoms you are describing, but maybe it would be worth checking if the report mentions that?

Sorry I can't be of more help!
Mid-20's. Undiagnosed upper and low back/SI pain (along with hips & ribs consistently, and neck, knees, heel/bottom of foot, ankles/achilles, and wrists periodically). Diclofenac 75mg 2x/day and Prilosec 40mg 1x/day. PCOS recently diagnosed.

#278229 - 06/15/17 01:53 AM Re: balance problems? [Re: Shippingnews]
Shippingnews Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks @Banana and @Nicole.
@Nicole, yes I did. However, most likely the reports were incorrect. And it was also an upright MRI, which my doctor says are not good images. -My new doctor, says 50% of times the readings from external radiologists are wrong. More importantly most of the doctors I have seen agree that I have severe kyphosis(whether that is a cause of pain or not, is a secondary question, which I will try to find out)
Well , I learnt something new today. I went for a physcial therapy and the lady, took picture of my back spine-without shirt, while I bent forward. And my spine is very significantly curved. And according to her, my pain is because the apex of my kyphosis is getting undue pressure. I never have pain when I lay on my sides or on my stomach. Is this usual for Ankylosing Spondylitis? I thought rest or position should not affect pain in case of AS?

Edited by Shippingnews (06/15/17 01:56 AM)

#278231 - 06/15/17 09:49 AM Re: balance problems? [Re: Shippingnews]
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
Kyphosis can cause pain no matter what the root cause. The reason is that it puts your body in an unnatural position, which causes unnatural gravitational and other forces to affect your body.

Think about a normal body with good posture. The spine perfectly supports your body, all the way to your head balanced at the top. When you are bent forward with kyphosis, your spine is no longer supporting your head and upper body, so the weight of your head and upper body puts additional stress on your vertebrae, and your back muscles struggle to support a load they were not intended to carry.

That's why it feels better to lie down. When you lie down your spine and back muscles get relief from the load they are struggling to carry.

My husband has severe kyphosis caused by osteoarthritis and degenerative disks. He deals with pain every day. It's not fun.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#278252 - 06/16/17 10:58 AM Re: balance problems? [Re: Shippingnews]
Shippingnews Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks Ginny! Yes I think surgery is what will treat me. I do not think it is AS. As all medicines for AS including prednisone have failed. Only lying on my side or stomach helps me.

#278279 - 06/19/17 03:53 PM Re: balance problems? [Re: Shippingnews]
kitkat203 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Coral Springs , Florida
I developed balance problems when I started with inflamed SI joints.They normally move to keep you upright and balanced. When the SI joints were inflamed I had to work on core exercises to help make up for what the SI joints weren't doing to he;k support my body. My balance still isn,t what it used to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan