Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#278502 - 07/10/17 04:01 AM Blood in stools and methotrexate usage?
Thesnakejakw Offline
Registered Visitor

I been on methotrexate for about 3 weeks now, for the past week I have been having bright blood spots in my stools, I went to urgent care for it and told my rhem about it, I told my GI doc about it, And my gi doc ordered a colonoscopy, and my rhem switched me to injections, I am having extreme pain when I go to the bathroom now, however I was not constipated at the time. I was given a laxative to take yesterday evening and to finish the rest this morning, however I was having increased bleeding when I finished the laxative and now I have to finish the other half, I was advised to go to the emergency room to be evaluated and was given advice on symptoms of extreme blood loss and told I must go if I was having those symptoms, even though it was recommended I go I decided not to and try to tough it out, as I do not want to be admitted and miss my colonoscopy, as I did not eat anything for the past 26+ hours as of now and won't be able to eat for another 13+. Urgent care thought that this bleeding was caused by the methotrexate. Did anyone else get these problems while taking the methotrexate? My insurance don't cover biologics ect so I don't have many options. I have been taking my folic acid ect every day and all my other medications including: Carisoprodol ( soma ) Prednisone , ranitidine 150 mg twice daily omeprazole 20mg twice daily and Hydrocodone 5/325 every 4 hours as needed. My Rhem thinks it is possible that the Hydrocodone could be causing some stomach pain, but every time I take it alone it does not seem to onset the stomach pain, but ever since I started taking the methotrexate I have been having severe stomach pain when I go to the bathroom or eat, and it also intensifies when taking the prednisone, my rhem recently upped my dose of prednisone to get the inflammation under control better, but has been causing very unwanted stomach pain. I am stuck on what to do all treatment is failing terribly and my insurance is MIA currently applying for Medical assistance to help me while I'm on short term disability.

#278514 - 07/10/17 04:37 PM Re: Blood in stools and methotrexate usage? [Re: Thesnakejakw]
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
I'm sorry you are going through such a scary time. Hopefully by now you have either had the colonoscopy or have gone to the ER. Please let us know what you find out.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#278522 - 07/10/17 11:38 PM Re: Blood in stools and methotrexate usage? [Re: SouthernMoss]
Thesnakejakw Offline
Registered Visitor

Originally Posted By: SouthernMoss
I'm sorry you are going through such a scary time. Hopefully by now you have either had the colonoscopy or have gone to the ER. Please let us know what you find out.

Aparentally I have a anal fissure, which I believe was caused from using the preparation for the colonscopy I don't have uc or crones disease so that's good will follow up with gi hopefully injections work better then the tablets did send my GI pac a message . The procedure was painful as I woke up during and they tried to sedate me more but couldn't keep me from waking again as it was so painful and they gave me the max fetynal dose and sedative possible and could not give more due to possible over dose or the depression of the organs due to the combined drugs I never want to get one again I felt very violated at the end as it was quite painful

#278527 - 07/11/17 02:02 PM Re: Blood in stools and methotrexate usage? [Re: Thesnakejakw]
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: New York
So very sorry, the procedure sounds terribly painful. So very sorry.

Loved the MTX injections, no side effects.

Hope everything heals well, and you feel better soon.

#278531 - 07/11/17 04:43 PM Re: Blood in stools and methotrexate usage? [Re: Thesnakejakw]
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
Bless your heart, that sounds awful! frown

But that's good news that you don't have UC or Crohn's. Let us know what the doctors say.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#278535 - 07/12/17 01:23 AM Re: Blood in stools and methotrexate usage? [Re: SouthernMoss]
Thesnakejakw Offline
Registered Visitor

Originally Posted By: SouthernMoss
Bless your heart, that sounds awful! frown

But that's good news that you don't have UC or Crohn's. Let us know what the doctors say.
They are unsure what's causing my stomach pain was able to get a earlier appointment with the pa-c I normally see so I'm glad I'll be able to follow up with her about it . They had me in a terrible resting position with my back and made it very painful they prescribed me some hydrocortisone cream but can't afford it as it cost $140 and waiting for medical assistance to kick in. My employers cut me off from my health insurance and I been uninsured and untreated due to me using all my FMLA up before but still qualify with American disability act so I sent in a complaint to the state regulators and they will review it and let me get a attorney to most likely sue if they believe it was wrong. I am still an employee and getting punished for having this disease I'm on short term disability I know I said this before Soma and hydrocodone is the only thing that somewhat helps and I'm still in pain

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan