Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#278565 - 07/15/17 03:37 PM Starting humira
awesomeman Offline
Registered Visitor

So I just started humira. I've had some serious signs and symptoms from AS for quite some time but it really wasn't diagnosed. Finally had my first shot of humira on Monday and it seems to be working....really well. Can this stuff really work that quickly? I mean the pain in the SI joint is still pretty bad but the rest of my body just feels better. Can humira be working that quickly. What has been your alls experience with it.

On a separate note my elbow swelled up to the size of a baseball amongst some other things. so I'm dealing with some side effects which we are monitoring. So it's not that everything is perfect.

Please share your comments on humira.
Thanks

#278569 - 07/15/17 05:19 PM Re: Starting humira [Re: awesomeman]
SouthernMoss Online
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
For some people, biologics can start working right away. That's great that you are one. Hopefully you will continue to improve over time.

I was one of the slow starters. It took 3 months before I could really tell it was doing anything. But it has helped a lot, especially with fatigue.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#278594 - 07/18/17 11:15 AM Re: Starting humira [Re: awesomeman]
awesomeman Offline
Registered Visitor

ok turns out it was cellulitis on my elbow. Man can these things really mess with your immune system that fast?

#278595 - 07/18/17 11:28 AM Re: Starting humira [Re: awesomeman]
Winston Online
Registered Visitor

What other medications are you on? These sorts of infections are more likely to happen when a biologic is combined with steroids and/or another DMARD, such as methotrexate.

#278596 - 07/18/17 11:44 AM Re: Starting humira [Re: awesomeman]
awesomeman Offline
Registered Visitor

Nope, I only take tramadol and nsaids as needed.

#278605 - 07/19/17 11:49 AM Re: Starting humira [Re: awesomeman]
awesomeman Offline
Registered Visitor

I have noticed a big difference with the fatigue. The acute pain is still there in the SI joint, but that feeling that my entire body fell down the stairs then was hit with a truck after staying awake for 72 hours has really improved.

#278729 - 08/09/17 10:23 AM Re: Starting humira [Re: awesomeman]
awesomeman Offline
Registered Visitor

Well, i take that back I guess. Im now entering my sixth week on Humira and am starting to feel worse. Painwise, the acuteness of the pain is down a bit. Thats the plus, the downside is Im noticing an unnatural level of fatigue with Humira? Its a weird fatigue where you just feel depleted. The best analogy I have is that type of fatigue after you've been sweating in the sun all day. You feel dehydrated, stomach is a bit queasy, and your energy is just gone.
Has anyone else experienced this.

#278744 - 08/12/17 11:59 AM Re: Starting humira [Re: awesomeman]
Windguy Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Oregon
I'm in my third week. Possible improvement in thoracic/cervical area. That could also be from the Cymbalta (PTSD/Depression). One definite response from the Humira has been bowel improvement. I never thought I IBS, but wasn't normal - for a long time. All that changed in the first week. I even had coffee twice in one week and didn't "pay" for it!!! Haven't done that in a decade.

Occasional Tramadol and SOMA and Tylenol. NSAIDs fragged my esophagus - forever. Also quit very modest alcohol consumption two weeks prior to Humira.

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan