I'm sure some of you are scratching your heads but there are a few of us out there that worked in the nuclear fields in the military. I retired as a Warhead Technician from the USN and the warheads I worked on radiated us with both Gamma and Neutron radiation. Since this isn't a physics class I'll leave out the details of how radiation exposures interact with the body.
I am wondering if the exposure to ionizing radiation and particulate bombardment radiation could have triggered my spondylitis. I believe that it started in the mid-1980s but wasn't diagnosed until 1992, and that took a year of testing and all kinds of denial and other crap by the VA. Thankfully, they didn't have a rheumatologist and the dermatologist they used referred me outside to a real rheumatologist who diagnosed me with "non-specific spondylopathy." That was in Johnson City, TN. A few years later I moved to the Fort Myers, FL area and met with Dr. David Baldinger, MD, who said I had AS. What is really interesting is that Dr. Baldinger had done his residency under the guy who told me I didn't really have AS but that non-specific spondylopathy stuff, in spite of the recurring iritis and loss of motion in spine and pain...
Anyway, has anyone heard of a link between ionizing radiation and AS?