Spondyloarthritis / Spondylitis Forums - Spondylitis Association of America
Spondylitis Association of America Home Page Learn About Spondyloarthritis / Ankylosing Spondylitis About Us - Our Work More Ways To Connect With Others / Support Groups And More Become a Member of SAA We Are A Nonprofit - Donate Today Shop for Products
Topic Options
#278918 - 09/05/17 04:50 PM AS newbie. Pain in elbow question.
Mpak65 Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Although my spine is already fused, I was just recently given the diagnosis of AS and have just started Humira injections to try to slow the disease. Over the past 3 months I have had a great deal of pain in my right elbow. When bad, it is difficult to straighten arm, squeeze fist, and my whole arm has an ache similar to when your circulation is cut off. I know the AS can affect joints elsewhere in the body and was wondering if these symptoms in my right elbow and arm are what I can expect during periods of inflammation. Thus far I have had no issues in my left arm. Anyone out there have similar issues in elbow or arm?
Cauda Equina Syndrome since 1999. Diagnosed with aggressive AS August 2017. Spine already fused from thoracic levels all way down. Had never even been diagnosed with arthritis before getting AS diagnosis. Spinal cord damage from Cauda Equina injury most likely masked pain symptoms that would have led to earlier diagnosis. Meds include Tramadol, Coumadin, Humira, Xanax, Vitamin D, and I have a pain Stimulator implanted in back.

#278921 - 09/05/17 08:49 PM Re: AS newbie. Pain in elbow question. [Re: Mpak65]
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
I have problems with my right elbow. But my pain is more of a tendonitis-type pain that goes down into my forearm. I also have pain in my right wrist on the pinky side. Pretty sure both are due to enthesitis.

I have to be careful not to prop on my elbow or lean my forearm against a table, and if I am sitting in a chair with arms, I can't use the right arm rest and have to keep my arm in my lap instead.

I also can't hold a phone to my right ear for more than a couple of minutes or my right elbow will start hurting.

Like you, I have very little trouble with my left arm. And I'm left-handed! Go figure.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#278923 - 09/05/17 10:48 PM Re: AS newbie. Pain in elbow question. [Re: SouthernMoss]
Mpak65 Offline
Registered Visitor

I've noticed I no longer lean on anything with my right arm as well. Have you encountered any particular medication that seems to work well with reducing the discomfort?
Cauda Equina Syndrome since 1999. Diagnosed with aggressive AS August 2017. Spine already fused from thoracic levels all way down. Had never even been diagnosed with arthritis before getting AS diagnosis. Spinal cord damage from Cauda Equina injury most likely masked pain symptoms that would have led to earlier diagnosis. Meds include Tramadol, Coumadin, Humira, Xanax, Vitamin D, and I have a pain Stimulator implanted in back.

#278927 - 09/06/17 10:35 AM Re: AS newbie. Pain in elbow question. [Re: Mpak65]
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: MS
Methotrexate really helps. The Humira probably helps too, but I was on MTX for a year before I started Humira, and the MTX pretty much had the elbow and arm under control by then. My elbow/arm pain is minimal most days as long as I'm careful with it. I even sleep with a microbead pillow under my elbow at night.
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic

#278928 - 09/06/17 11:38 AM Re: AS newbie. Pain in elbow question. [Re: SouthernMoss]
Mpak65 Offline
Registered Visitor

Thanks for the info! I will ask my Doc about the methotrexate because I am ready to try anything for my arm. Thanks again 😊

#278929 - 09/06/17 11:44 AM Re: AS newbie. Pain in elbow question. [Re: Mpak65]
Swan Offline
Registered Visitor

Loc: Oregon
You might want to talk to your doctor about possible nerve impingement also. I had some arm pain that was actually coming from my neck.

Moderator:  ElinAslanyan