Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#278973 - 09/12/17 07:16 AM OFFICIALLY DIAGNOSED WITH AS :-)  
Lewis23 Offline
Registered Visitor
Lewis23  Offline
Registered Visitor

So after a decade of struggling, I was officially diagnosed today by my rheumatologist with Ankylosing Spondylitis. Also, mild to moderate osteoarthritis of the hips. Might need to get them replaced soon. I am 31, but have had symptoms since I was 12. I had to quit my career as a professional figure skater, but today I feel stronger than ever. This is a message to anyone out there that was scared like I was. YOU'RE GOING TO BE FINE. This s*it sucks ass...but you can rise above. My Aunt has scleroderma, my good friend has Lupus, and they fought this motherfucker with no meds. This is an inspirational note to anyone out there that is suffering from anything autoimmune...anyone scared that doesn't know what's going on...anyone that feels like their life is over. This forum has been a saving grace for me, but it's also put a lot of negative/false information in my head. My aunt has had scleroderma for 40 years and has battled it with diet and healthy lifestyle WITHOUT MEDS. I was a former Olympic bound figure skater, and to not be able to get out of bed some days is scary. However, figure skating taught me one thing... dedication. If you can go NO STARCH, get some acupuncture, get massages, go in the hot tub, take MSM, eliminate stress/mediate, take turmeric daily, take ginger daily, eat your anti-inflamtories, do your yoga, take oregano oil, get a colonic and balance your gut, stretch EVERY DAY, and stay positive... I'm a firm believer that you can put anything in remission. Don't listen to the people that say lifestyle/diet changes don't work... they're people that are lazy and don't fully commit. I will say, genetics do play a big part. It's true. But for most of us, we can take control of this disease. I'm sure I will get a lot of people commenting on this post disagreeing, but for those of you newly diagnosed or looking for answers... just know that my aunt battled scleroderma for 40 years in remission without medication. I've had symptoms for over 20 years.... ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Each case is different, but you can beat this! In the end, we're all going to die sooner or later... but there's no reason you can't live a healthy, happy life with Ankylosking Spondylitis. I am HLA-B27 positive, I have neck pain, spine pain, hip pain, foot pain, iritis, psoriasis, tendonitis, elbow pain, rib cage pain and a bunch of other BULLSHIT has interfered with my life.... but I am rising above and so can you! Just a motivational post to let you know that you shouldn't give up, and you can rise above this smile Check out my instagram at itsdavid_lewis

Last edited by Lewis23; 09/12/17 07:28 AM.
#278978 - 09/12/17 05:50 PM Re: OFFICIALLY DIAGNOSED WITH AS :-) [Re: Lewis23]  
Beth Offline
Registered Visitor
Beth  Offline
Registered Visitor

Northern CA
Yes, I'm going to be one. I wouldn't generalize and say everyone who've tried diet are lazy and don't commit. Several folks I know have tried it. Not lazy at all. And they have fully committed. And it didn't work. Some diet will help anyone with joint issues. But to say that this dx can be controlled strictly by diet and exercise alone for EVERYONE is misleading. Because it doesn't work for everyone and if it doesn't, that doesn't make that person lazy.

Beth
#278979 - 09/12/17 06:15 PM Re: OFFICIALLY DIAGNOSED WITH AS :-) [Re: Lewis23]  
Winston Offline
Registered Visitor
Winston  Offline
Registered Visitor

Lewis23, your post was pretty offensive. You lobbed a massive insult into the universe and then tried to tie a pretty bow around it by saying "[j]ust a motivational post." No, sir. There was nothing motivational about your post. It certainly wasn't persuasive. So if your goal was to convince other folks to do it your way, well, you failed miserably. (If your system works so well, why do you need a hip replacement at age 31?)

Fact is, the disease affects everyone differently. And science and medicine are not unmitigated evils. There's nothing whatsoever "lazy and uncommitted" about taking advantage of the pain relief and slower disease progression that science and medicine have to offer us. In fact, a pretty strong argument can be made that it's stupid to not take advantage of what science and medicine have to offer. But to each his own. I don't criticize other people's choices unless/until they start to criticize mine. It would serve you well in life to adopt a similar policy.

#278981 - 09/13/17 05:20 AM Re: OFFICIALLY DIAGNOSED WITH AS :-) [Re: Lewis23]  
Thesnakejakw Offline
Registered Visitor
Thesnakejakw  Offline
Registered Visitor

Originally Posted By: Lewis23
So after a decade of struggling, I was officially diagnosed today by my rheumatologist with Ankylosing Spondylitis. Also, mild to moderate osteoarthritis of the hips. Might need to get them replaced soon. I am 31, but have had symptoms since I was 12. I had to quit my career as a professional figure skater, but today I feel stronger than ever. This is a message to anyone out there that was scared like I was. YOU'RE GOING TO BE FINE. This s*it sucks ass...but you can rise above. My Aunt has scleroderma, my good friend has Lupus, and they fought this motherfucker with no meds. This is an inspirational note to anyone out there that is suffering from anything autoimmune...anyone scared that doesn't know what's going on...anyone that feels like their life is over. This forum has been a saving grace for me, but it's also put a lot of negative/false information in my head. My aunt has had scleroderma for 40 years and has battled it with diet and healthy lifestyle WITHOUT MEDS. I was a former Olympic bound figure skater, and to not be able to get out of bed some days is scary. However, figure skating taught me one thing... dedication. If you can go NO STARCH, get some acupuncture, get massages, go in the hot tub, take MSM, eliminate stress/mediate, take turmeric daily, take ginger daily, eat your anti-inflamtories, do your yoga, take oregano oil, get a colonic and balance your gut, stretch EVERY DAY, and stay positive... I'm a firm believer that you can put anything in remission. Don't listen to the people that say lifestyle/diet changes don't work... they're people that are lazy and don't fully commit. I will say, genetics do play a big part. It's true. But for most of us, we can take control of this disease. I'm sure I will get a lot of people commenting on this post disagreeing, but for those of you newly diagnosed or looking for answers... just know that my aunt battled scleroderma for 40 years in remission without medication. I've had symptoms for over 20 years.... ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Each case is different, but you can beat this! In the end, we're all going to die sooner or later... but there's no reason you can't live a healthy, happy life with Ankylosking Spondylitis. I am HLA-B27 positive, I have neck pain, spine pain, hip pain, foot pain, iritis, psoriasis, tendonitis, elbow pain, rib cage pain and a bunch of other BULLSHIT has interfered with my life.... but I am rising above and so can you! Just a motivational post to let you know that you shouldn't give up, and you can rise above this smile Check out my instagram at itsdavid_lewis

Are you serious this is like telling a type one diabetic like my self not to take my insulin and keep on eating sugar. Or celiac disease like my self and just keep eating wheat. Your logic into thinking diet and exercise will stop progression is a blank thought and poor misleading argument. You are just offending everyone here that are trying to get the right medicine reg, if diet and exercise would be the cure then great that would be great then we wouldn't have to go to the doctor in the first place!!! Everyone should be able to be treated how they want to be treated and some are worse then others by far. Some of us can't exercise like my self without extreme pain besides light walks or swimming. This ain't motivational this is pure advertising your Instagram on a forum that is designed to help people. I my self take methotrexate Prednisone Soma and oxycodone and still the pain is there but a lot more controlled then it was before the meds . I am 23 years old before being diagnosed I was a very active person in basketball , and weight lifting with strict diet now those things kill my back and I am unable to do the simple task calling us lazy makes no since our disease causes extreme fatigue. I doubt you have what you say you have because diet and exercise and stomach killing nsaids alone won't fix your pain reported post

Diagnosed 4+ months ago with as causes chest pain and severe back pain . Medications : methotrexate .6 per week in divided doses, Prednisone tapering off 2 5mg daily, folic acid mg daily, dicloymine for stomach pain and cramping , ranitidine 150mg twice daily and Prilosec 20mg extended release once daily , Carispodol (Soma) 350mg 5 times daily , oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours as needed
#279001 - 09/13/17 10:13 PM Re: OFFICIALLY DIAGNOSED WITH AS :-) [Re: Lewis23]  
SouthernMoss Offline
Registered Visitor
SouthernMoss  Offline
Registered Visitor

MS
Lewis23, I'm glad that diet and alternative treatments are working for you. But they don't work for everyone. And it's irresponsible of you to say otherwise. From what I can tell from your posts, you have been following your current plan for less than 2 months. That's not enough time to be able to claim anything.

I hope your current plan continues to work for you. But don't judge others for taking a different path.

Ginny - 57 year old female
Dx with USpA in March 2013; changed to AS in July 2015
Iritis and Scleritis
unicompartmental knee replacement June 2014
MTX, Humira, Cyclobenzaprine, plus Indomethacin ER as needed
Supplements: Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Fish Oil, Melatonin, Culturelle probiotic
#279013 - 09/14/17 10:23 PM Re: OFFICIALLY DIAGNOSED WITH AS :-) [Re: Lewis23]  
Banana Offline
Registered Visitor
Banana  Offline
Registered Visitor

New York
Wow, oh wow, you were diagnosed today and yet you know all about treatment? Insulting and ignorant, because treatment is very important. What did your rheumatalgist say about your statement?

Anna

Actema IV once a month (with pre loading for allergic reaction), Cymbalta x1 daily, Arava 20mg daily. Diagnosed with AS in 2004, suffered undiagnosed since 1982.

Moderated by  ElinAslanyan